NEED HELP!

Options
I've been trying to lose weight but I've been at a stall for about 5 months now, I tried logging in my weight to decrease my intake but that only seems to make me hungrier. I mostly eat lean meat with a side dish of veggies and protein shakes, but because i get hungrier i tend to lean off the diet for a day or two but the rest of the week I feel like I'm starving myself. I do have a sedentary life style other than going to the gym. I seem to be stuck at 220lbs but im only 20 pounds away from reaching my main goal. Anyone have any ideas on what to do?

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    Are you following MFP's recommended calories? Do you log every thing you eat? Do you weigh/measure everything you eat? A couple of days a week of not being careful can add up to a lot of calories. If you increase your exercise, you can eat more, but you need to know exactly how much you are eating and how many calories you are burning with exercise. Increasing your exercise may help, but mostly you need to be very consistent in your logging.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eating food for the same number of calories as the protein shake? It's great as a supplement, but many people find that drinking calories leaves them feeling hungry.

The overall calories you take in will drive weight loss, stall, or gain in combination with your activity level along with personal factors such as weight and age. Types of foods are important for overall health and keeping you feeling full, to help you hit your target calories.
  • deimosphoebos
    deimosphoebos Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hey buddy, feel free to add me / look at my diary. I'd recommend the following:

1) Make sure you are keeping your water intake consistent 2-3L per day,
    2) Make sure your logging is accurate. If you don't use a scale, get one and use it,
    3) You only really need a 250 cal a day deficit to make a dent in your scale, are you possibly setting your caloric goal too low?
    4) Healthy eating/Logging > Weightlifting > Cardio
    5) Did I mention weightlifting? I went from once a month in November to 4 times / week now.
    6) Don't rush, look at it as a long term process, instead of a quick fix,
    7) Identify lower calorie snacks that you can eat when you are hungry.

I have been logging for the last 88 days with my primary focus on watching what I eat. I was initially averaging a 3lbs/week loss for the first two months, and now it's dropping below 2lbs/week with just about 40lbs lost.

I have full confidence that you will be able to continue towards your goal, you probably just have to make some adjustments.

PM me if you wanna chat more.

Cheers.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The last pounds are going to be slow, so you need to arm yourself with patience, and practice how you're going to eat/live at maintenance. So - set your weekly weightloss goal to the lowest (if you haven't already). That will give you the most calories to eat. That should stop the intolerable hunger. But if you're still legitimately hungry, eat more balanced (and varied). Stop the lean meat and protein shakes. Eat more fatty meat and fish, small amounts of starch, some fruit, nuts, dairy. Try to have some vegetables and fat for/with every meal. A good calorie goal has room for all the good things.