Twitter trends

Options
I woke up to #donewithdieting and #wakeupweightwatchers trending on Twitter, any thoughts?

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I woke up to #donewithdieting and #wakeupweightwatchers trending on Twitter, any thoughts?

Anything to do with that dizzy mare who posted on Farcebook last week about how it's better to just eat to instinct?

I do think that Weight Watchers targeting teenagers isn't a great market penetration strategy, but I can see the business sense in it. Take an already emotionally vulnerable demographic, reinforce negative stereotypes and offer a magic solution. Seems like ideal conditioning for later life as a drone serf.
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options

Anything to do with that dizzy mare who posted on Farcebook last week about how it's better to just eat to instinct?

I do think that Weight Watchers targeting teenagers isn't a great market penetration strategy, but I can see the business sense in it. Take an already emotionally vulnerable demographic, reinforce negative stereotypes and offer a magic solution. Seems like ideal conditioning for later life as a drone serf.

On the flip-side, childhood obesity seems to be pretty prevalent. Might as well try to instill some good eating habits before they're too far down the road.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

On the flip-side, childhood obesity seems to be pretty prevalent. Might as well try to instill some good eating habits before they're too far down the road.

Last I saw childhood obesity is at about 18%, so that's a concern but I definitely wouldn't be dealing with it for my child without medical supervision since kids have a lot needs adults don't and putting them on a diet can have unintended consequences. Definitely, avoiding weight issues by keeping them active and instilling proper eating habits is a much better idea.
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options

Last I saw childhood obesity is at about 18%, so that's a concern but I definitely wouldn't be dealing with it for my child without medical supervision since kids have a lot needs adults don't and putting them on a diet can have unintended consequences. Definitely, avoiding weight issues by keeping them active and instilling proper eating habits is a much better idea.

I don't know much about WW. Is it a temporary 'diet' program or is it supposed to develop those good eating habits?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I'm unconvinced that WW instills good habits.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

I don't know much about WW. Is it a temporary 'diet' program or is it supposed to develop those good eating habits?

WW does not accept minors to my knowledge, and no, it's about weight loss in a healthy manner but geared towards adults. It doesn't really help for long-term maintenance unless you want to do the program indefinitely, I guess.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

The WW one came from a report last week that they were going to offer free memberships to teens, I believe over the summer. Not sure about the other one.