Diverticulosis/diverticulitis

Options
Does anyone have this condition/disease? If so, how often do you get flare-ups? If you had the surgery to remove the "bad part" of the colon, would you recommend it?

Replies

• brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My ex had this. At his worst he had 6 flare ups in a summer. It was manageable (prevention) with diet.
  • ConnieAGinther
    ConnieAGinther Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    My flare-ups seem to come up from stress.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I found out from a colonoscopy. I have had no flare ups. Controlled with diet.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    @ConnieAGinther i have Crohn's not diverticulitis but i have had a total proctocolectomy (removal of colon and rectum) with end ileostomy so I can answer questions regarding surgery
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    The recommendation for surgery is if there is abscess, refractory to 2+ courses of antibiotics or 3 episodes (or more) proven recurrent diverticulitis within 6 months. I have treated patients with it that have required surgery and yes it does help.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I found out from a colonoscopy. I have had no flare ups. Controlled with diet.

The same here. I stay away from seeds, and I eat popcorn and nuts in very small amounts and not very often. Knock on wood, I haven't had a flare up in awhile but the last one was very painful, specially when walking, and I was on Keflex for 10 days or so. Not fun :'(
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Keflex is nasty nasty. I was on it for another reason and the side effects were so bad my gi dr was certain I had c diff or a bad Crohn's flare but it wasn't. It lasted for 3 weeks after I stopped taking it.
  • ConnieAGinther
    ConnieAGinther Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I have had about 10 flare-ups in the last 8 years and was in the hospital 6 times for it. I am in a flare-up right now and luckily got on antibiotics before it got out on control. I have no particular food that I keep away from except Blueberries.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Keflex is nasty nasty. I was on it for another reason and the side effects were so bad my gi dr was certain I had c diff or a bad Crohn's flare but it wasn't. It lasted for 3 weeks after I stopped taking it.

Sorry about your problems with Keflex. Luckily I didn't have any and that is surprising for me because I don't do well with meds. If I did, I would be in a lot of trouble because the pain was very, very bad.

• faithrainbow1
    faithrainbow1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I had one flare up about a year and a half ago, and no more to date (knock wood). Once or twice I started feeling pain in that same spot, and I'd go on a liquid diet (bone broth, aloe Vera juice) for a day or two and it would go away.
  • SMKing75
    SMKing75 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've had two flare-up since my diagnosis in 2009. Both times because of strawberries. I cannot eat berries unless they are blueberries. Nuts, corn, popcorn, are all ok for me. I've had to go on antibiotics both times when it occurred.