Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Low-fat vs. low-carb

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Fascinating, thanks for posting this.

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    what the *kitten* is a low-fat genotype????

All participants were screened for the “low-fat” genotype (hypothesized to do better on a low-fat diet), the “low-carb” genotype, or neither.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

All participants were screened for the “low-fat” genotype (hypothesized to do better on a low-fat diet), the “low-carb” genotype, or neither.

There's a hypothesis that individuals will have weight loss success on a low-carbohydrate or low-fat diet if they have a certain genotype. I don't think anybody has established that this is a real thing. From another article on the study: "Participants also had a blood test to determine the presence of single nucleotide polymorphisms of three genes (PPARG, ADRB2, and FABP2) related to fat and carbohydrate metabolism, and they were classified as having a genotype believed to respond to a low-fat diet, a low-carbohydrate diet, or neither."

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/892859#vp_2
  • catherineg3
    catherineg3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    "no significant weight-loss differences between the low-fat and low-carb groups." but "Neither group was able to stick to the very low starting intakes: by month 3, the low-fat group was already consuming an average of 42 g of fat per day, whereas the low-carb group was consuming an average of 96.6 g of carbs per day." Almost 100g of carbs per day is not low-carb. Of course, the study does not show significant differentiation, because for 9 months of the 12 month long study, no one was compliant with the original definitions of low fat <20g fat and low carb <20g carb.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

There's a hypothesis that individuals will have weight loss success on a low-carbohydrate or low-fat diet if they have a certain genotype. I don't think anybody has established that this is a real thing. From another article on the study: "Participants also had a blood test to determine the presence of single nucleotide polymorphisms of three genes (PPARG, ADRB2, and FABP2) related to fat and carbohydrate metabolism, and they were classified as having a genotype believed to respond to a low-fat diet, a low-carbohydrate diet, or neither."

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/892859#vp_2

I had my DNA done on 23andMe and my results were that I am better suited to eat low fat. Thanks for mentioning this. Double checking 23andMe results.
  • andrewbrownketo
    andrewbrownketo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Where did the low carb group get their hunger satiated, if not from an increase in fat? It looks to me like the low carb group was set up for failure. If you are doing a low-carb diet, you need the high fat to satiate yourself. Otherwise, you will always be hungry, and therefore binge!!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Where did the low carb group get their hunger satiated, if not from an increase in fat? It looks to me like the low carb group was set up for failure. If you are doing a low-carb diet, you need the high fat to satiate yourself. Otherwise, you will always be hungry, and therefore binge!!!

Most commonly people in low carb diet studies increase protein as well as fat, and protein is the most satiating macro on average for most people.

Not everyone finds high fat satiating. (I don't, although I do find it enjoyable and it helps me not feel like I'm on a restrictive diet.)

However, in this study they did (obviously) increase fat, although the focus was on cutting one macro -- the low carb group stuck to around 90 g of carbs by the end (started lower) and lost 13 lb in a year with protein around 100 g, so that's less than 800 cal from carbs/protein -- obviously a high fat diet, especially at the beginning but even at the end.