Mommy vs. Toddler. Workout or Playtime?

Options
I am 22 and my son is just shy of 2 years old. I am home with him all day, and work night shifts so a majority of my work outs are from home, which means as soon as I hit the yoga mat, he is all over me!
Have any of you mommies found good effective ways to incorporate working out with your child?
Also, feel free to add me! Need all the support I can get!

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    You could try getting him his own yoga mat and letting him do yoga with you. Try to find as many active activities you can do with him during the day. Load him up in the stroller and take some long walks or just go to a park and play with him. And be patient. Kids are not 2 for very long. Before you know it he will be 22 and you will miss these days.
  • bisquickshawl
    bisquickshawl Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    We walk (well, I walk, he strolls) about 3 miles everyday, but today for instance, it started raining 1 mile into our walk.
    I have gotten him a little mat but is uninterested in it.
    And you are definitely right on them growing up too fast. Still can't even believe he's 2 now.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    My wife bought a jogging stroller and I bought a bike trailer so we could get our exercise in when our kiddos were younger. I'd do something like yoga during nap time.
  • VolsG8rH8r
    VolsG8rH8r Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Lay down on your back and put them on your shins and lift them up and down keeping your hips at a 90 degree angle.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Attention span for toddlers is short... maybe 10 minutes so don't try to get into a longer routine right now.
    Maybe give him a toy he only gets while you exercise or exercise while he is asleep.
    Walking
    Dancing- my daughter loved dancing when she was little. There are dancing games or just turn on music and have a dance party together.
    There are indoor walking workouts that are easy to do and get back into if you get interrupted. Leslie Sansone, Jessica Smith, Paula Bowers and others have indoor walking workouts on you tube.

I wear a pedometer and just try to reach a step goal throughout the day many days.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I am 22 and my son is just shy of 2 years old. I am home with him all day, and work night shifts so a majority of my work outs are from home, which means as soon as I hit the yoga mat, he is all over me!
    Have any of you mommies found good effective ways to incorporate working out with your child?
    Also, feel free to add me! Need all the support I can get!

My SIL puts the 2 yr old in a high chair with Cheerios in front of You Tube videos about trucks and cars while she does her workout :lol:
  • Ardael
    Ardael Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    My kids are 7 and 4 now but getting them to stay quiet while I was working out was mission nearly impossible.

I could manage yoga from 3yo onwards.
    I put a cushion on the handlebars of my exercise bike and he would sit on that while watching the computer / TV, resting against my shoulder.
    I gave them fake weights made out of cardboards/bottles/socks/ you name it and lift with them. We would do callisthenics together and call it Ninja Training ( costumes are allowed ).
    I would give my water bottle to one and my towel to the other and call them out like a surgeon in theatre and the excitement of helping mummy would be almost overwhelming.

I found that everything works but only for so long. In the end most of my work outs were during naps or after bedtime. And those mentioned beforehand would be in case they woke up and wanted to join in.
    Now I jog and they cycle beside me. I have Pokemon Go on my phone and they're the ones insisting on going out for exercise to " Catch new Pokémon mummy ! "
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Ardael wrote: »
    I would give my water bottle to one and my towel to the other and call them out like a surgeon in theatre and the excitement of helping mummy would be almost overwhelming.

too cute!! :)