A helpful or hurtful spouse?

Options
124»

Replies

• carollynch09
    Options
    I think some of these posts are a bit dramatic.
    I have kids and a partner. I put their occasional junk food crap in another cupboard. Its that simple.
    You will always have to make some concessions and its YOU on your journey NOT them. And whilst its great for everyone to be aboard the healthy eating train occasionally those only on it with you for motivational support want to get the hell off and eat the packet of smiths cheese and onion chips or a tim tam... I dont think they should be denied that to be honest.
    If you really think it is a problem you can talk to him but why does it need to be a big deal?
    If he brings you something home is it so bad you cant take a bite and say thank you? What is it worth in the end? An extra 5 minutes on the treadmill? I am sure he is not forcing it in your mouth, you can say no thanks if you really dont want to eat it.
    I dont mean to sound unsupportive but temptation is everywhere and its going to be about how you manage it in the end that will keep the weight off for good.
  • carollynch09
    Options
    I think some of these posts are a bit dramatic.
    I have kids and a partner. I put their occasional junk food crap in another cupboard. Its that simple.
    You will always have to make some concessions and its YOU on your journey NOT them. And whilst its great for everyone to be aboard the healthy eating train occasionally those only on it with you for motivational support want to get the hell off and eat the packet of smiths cheese and onion chips or a tim tam... I dont think they should be denied that to be honest.
    If you really think it is a problem you can talk to him but why does it need to be a big deal?
    If he brings you something home is it so bad you cant take a bite and say thank you? What is it worth in the end? An extra 5 minutes on the treadmill? I am sure he is not forcing it in your mouth, you can say no thanks if you really dont want to eat it.
    I dont mean to sound unsupportive but temptation is everywhere and its going to be about how you manage it in the end that will keep the weight off for good.

I have to agree here. Like it says YOU are on this journey, not them. And temptation IS everywhere. You just need to learn how to manage him...I mean it. :)
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have the same here sister!!! I now keep MY closet which THEY try to raid--but I tell them NO--go buy their own or eat the same crap they have been eating. Hubby already on gout pills and going to hit the blood pressure pills before too much longer. But I can't drag them to the health alter--so MY solution was to keep my OWN closet with my goodies and have fun myself
  • LunaAmour
    LunaAmour Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The "truth" is that most of us are here because of addiction? Lol!

Well, you saw it on the boards so it must be true. Me, I'm here because I chose to eat too much. And I lost the weight because I chose to take responsibility over my life. Claiming addiction to food is another rung on the 'it's anyone's fault but mine' ladder

I think you're reading into my statement a bit too literally. Yes, we're also all here because we're choosing to take control of our wellness.
    But there are a lot of foods that trigger some people, especially those who are emotional eaters or people coming off of years of junk food eating. The claim isn't that these people are powerless or anything of the sort. That's why they're here. The very process of being conscious of your food intake and exercise quells those tendencies over time and encourages a healthy attitude towards food.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    My spouse never gets me treats unless I ask, but he does take me out for dinner, so I can't complain.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you were once ok with him buying the stuff so now he just does it because that is what he's always done. If you are anything like me. The 1 day your OH doesn't buy something you totally crave it & secretly wish they had got it.

It's not being hurtful or sabotage. It's just him being the man you married & love :flowerforyou:

If he still wants to do it, let him & just have a quarter or half as a treat. There is nothing to say that if it has been brought for you, you have to it it right then & there. :smile:
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Wow totally didn't think this would be this heated.

Ok so anywho.

Yes he brings home things for himself and I would never ask him to stop (unless medically necessary). On the other hand bringing me home coconut ice cream when he hates coconut is another story. Do I blame him for my weight, hell no! He is extremely supportive of me wanting to lose weight, it's just this little issue and yes I do mean little. He does not force feed me nor does he tell me I have to eat it. I can not bring myself to throw it away, though on occasion it has ended up at work for others to eat.

As far as staying in the parking lot while I work out. I work in a hotel and use the hotel's gym for free. If he wants to come with me it's $5 each time. He also works on a military base and can use the gym there (much nicer obviously) for free as well but they close at 11pm and that's the time I get off. SO he waits in the parking lot on the days I get off at 11pm so I can work out as we don't have the extra money to pay for him to come with me. On the days I get off by 9pm we go to the gym on base together.

For the person who stated that I have been on here for a year and only lost 5lbs. You *kitten*. That is all.

My husband and I will be having a talk about this tonight. I did like the ideas of getting different non-food related gifts. The flowers especially (I love fresh flowers). I'm sure we will work something out. Thank you for all your input.

:flowerforyou:

Just in case you were not aware of the rules of posting in the main forums, here you go:
    MyFitnessPal Site-wide Community Guidelines

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

17. No Profane, Vulgar, or Sexually Explicit Language

No explicit, sexual, insulting or vulgar content including expletives, or sexual innuendo, will be permitted. This includes the use of non-alphabetical characters to approximate expletives or other objectionable language. Publicly visible text on MyFitnessPal should be work-place friendly.

We reserve the right to moderate a topic based on the intent of the sexual material it contains. Topics intended to titillate will be removed. Topics with medical or clinical themes related to sex or sexual health may be permitted, at our discretion.