need encouragement

Options
I have been doing a good job of exercise- 4-5 times a week, walking or biking for almost an hour. I have been watching what I eat, and I have stopped losing inches. I don't weigh in, because I would rather concentrate on lifestyle than the scale. I appear to have hit a plateau. How do I break it?

Replies

• RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Change up the types of exercise you are doing. Up the intesntiy. Your body got use to what you were doing. Are you eating any exercise calories?
  • Sandeee
    Sandeee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Calorie cycling worked for me. And the weight loss began immediately after starting this. I range anywhere from 1250 - 1644 calories daily. It is really nice to change things up too!:flowerforyou:
  • S_H84
    S_H84 Posts: 75
    Options
    I actually just wrote this in another thread.... :)
    I had hit a plateau a couple of weeks ago. I broke it by switching up my exercise and my eating plan. Instead of my usual cardio I started running. I hate running but it was a good change for my body. The other thing I did is zig-zag dieting. It means that one day you eat less than your required amount of calories but the next day you make those calories up. Our bodies get used to the same exercise and the same calorie intake every day leading to a plateau.

I hope this helps you. Don't get discouraged. We all go through phases like that and it is just important to pull through it.

Also, something else. Personally, I lost weight before I lost inches and it took 3 months before I lost my first 0.5 inch (at my hip). Just stay motivated :)
  • vbchica6
    vbchica6 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have this article in a magazine that helped me out. I had an issue where i just stayed at the same weight for a long time and couldnt figure it out. I dont know if its what your looking for but its an old issue of shape about if your a purist type eater, diet rebet, or takeout queen. kinda walks you through and gives you ideas of snacks and dinners or breakfasts. It was in the February 2010 issue. The article was written by Cynthis Sass, R.D. called finally a diet you can stick to and love. If it sounds like something youd like and you cant find i can try paraphrase it. Give you an idea of my problem i was a purist, someone who felt like i needed to cook everything but wouldnt go out and no take out but i ate alot, large portions and munched on almonds and raisens and stuff like that. Purists need to back it down to smaller portions. If this isnt what your looking for i apologize. Sounds like your doing what your need to for excersize,
  • asteppaway
    asteppaway Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I was plateaued and read online that if you mess with your eating habits a bit it can break it...I took a weekend and ate a lot one day and then less the next day, and then went back to my regular eating habits after that and it seemed to work :) So I do that every weekend now to try to keep my body from getting stuck in a rut! Keep up the good work! You can break that plateau, it just takes a few changes!
  • whittrusty
    whittrusty Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Ditto to changing up your routine. Try out some weight training. It'll start moving eventually!

Just a thought, it's easier to judge how many calories you burn with exercise and how many you should eat daily if you have an accurate weight. Maybe weigh in once every 2-4 weeks...that'll help keep those numbers accurate. Just don't concentrate on the number. Concentrate on how your body feels...it's got to feel better than it once did!
  • ellaw14
    ellaw14 Posts: 1
    Options
    THANKS FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT:-) I WAS GOING THROUGH THE SAME STAND STILL WITH MY WEIGHT:-( I HATE RUNNING 2 BUT I HAVE STARTED RUNNING IN THE MORNINGS...