Ladies Maintaining--Do you give yourself more calories for PMS?

I've read that women burn about 300 calories more during the days prior to their TOM. Do you give yourself extra calories during this time?

My usual deficit calorie goal is 1550, but right now (diet break), I'm doing more like 2050. But NOW it's PMS time, and my appetite goes crazy. If I give myself 300 extra calories, that's about where I've been at the past few days. TOM began today, so I'm ready to be done with this increased appetite!!

Replies

• its_me_april
    its_me_april Posts: 57 Member
    YES. I'm really maintaining more than anything now, but I always have to have my treats around this time. I just listen to my body and try not to go too overboard.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    No I don't give myself extra calories for during PMS. I get a tad hungrier during those days but I eat at my TDEE on average anyway so don't have any more cals to play with. I suck it up and don't give in to cravings, I show my hormones who's boss LOL (it works! :smile: )
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    I get hungrier one or two during PMS and then don't feel like eating the first couple days of my period so it evens out. When I'm starving I eat, but have tracked it in the past and it wasn't so bad.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Do your energy needs change, or is it just the increased cravings/hunger?
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    No additional energy, more fatigue during.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I don't 'give' myself extra calories but I sure end up taking them... I can get ridiculously hungry.

That being said, ever since I started eating a bit more (and gained back 15 lbs sadly), PMS hunger has been much more tolerable. When I was 15 lbs under the overweight BMI, I sometimes had to eat up to 3000 calories to stop being hungry (that definitely contributed to me gaining weight back), and it could last a week.... Now that I'm (probably) back a bit in the 'overweight' category. I'm fine around 2200-2400, which is much closer to my maintenance. I swear it's like my body really doesn't want me to be a normal weight.

The good news I guess is that even though I got my period 6 ago (5 days early too), I've been able to cut again this whole week, so we'll see how that goes.
  • BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    I don’t give myself “extra” on purpose..but I try to eat nutrient-dense food opposed to less than..but even so if I want a bowl of cereal I’m eating it.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    During my period, I get nasty migraines, so I’m less likely to overeat. But a few days prior, watch out!
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    If I don't, I just overeat, so I give myself kindness and permission.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Well, this time, being on a diet break, and giving myself an additional 300 calories on top of that, I did pretty well. I didn't go over my calorie allowance, and didn't go up on the scale, except for the usual PMS water weight. So I think I can handle it when at maintenance. At a deficit, I think it will still be difficult!
  • sexymamadraeger
    sexymamadraeger Posts: 239 Member
    My period stirs up my cravings. They drive me nuts. But I can distract myself and if I am truly hungry eat some protein.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Do your energy needs change, or is it just the increased cravings/hunger?

In general energy needs are higher during that phase, but in many cases the increase in hunger, cravings, and lack of control outpaces the energy needs increase, in some cases by several hundreds of calories, thousands in more extreme cases.
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Yes I do. It works well for me. I train & track 3 weeks, followed by easy week and an extra snack in the evening. Not much thought, about 200 calories for the 5 days ahead of period.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    When I was actively losing I would eat at maintenance while I was PMSing.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I don't give myself extra, I just white knuckle it usually. It sucks, but it is what it is.
  • sexymamadraeger
    sexymamadraeger Posts: 239 Member
    No. I just power through. Try to distract myself. The cravings are strong during those time though!
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    As in current pms week, I plan out each day as if it was a normal day but then will give myself extra or cut down on my planned evening dessert to combat increased hunger. Cravings I ignore unless it ends up being coupled with a very stressful day, but if I am so hungry I am willing to eat squash or fish (two of my least favorite foods) then I know my body needs more calories.
  • adele012
    adele012 Posts: 78 Member
    Nope!