You didn't gain it overnight....

Options
you won't lose it overnight...

OK, but then why does it take over a month to lose 5 lbs but I can put on 2-3 in a week? (w/out any major pigging out.) (And I weight myself on the same day at the same time on the same stomach.)

So frustrating!

Replies

• jtfoster_123
    Options
    I am sooooo with you. I have lost nothing at all. I work my butt off in exercise, eat pretty good the majority of the time but still nothing. However, if I have a pig out weekend, I get 4 extra pounds, what's up with that. So, I take a deep breath and do some more research and find out why. Mine is my alcohol intake, apparently I cant drink at all, boring lol. I would recommend you take a close, very honest look at your eating and exercising and you will find the problem. Good luck to you :)
  • LoveMy4Kids
    LoveMy4Kids Posts: 231
    Options
    Oh I know exactly what you mean, it is sooo unfair how quickly it goes on some of us! I can easily gain 3-5lbs in one weekend if I don't watch anything I eat, then it takes me a week or two to take it off!! That can be really upsetting so thats why I am trying so hard to stay away from those bad days so that I won't get discouraged at having to take it back off!
  • saintsteffers1
    Options
    I know how you feel its very annoying.
    I gained 3lb last week and i didn't even go over my cals, but I think it was the type of food, as i had lots of pizza one night (about 5 slices) from dominoes (ahhh heaven), but i didn't eat anything the whole day hardly knowing i was gonna be eating pizza, so barely went over cals, but i guess its just sooooo bad to eat that much pizza even if it is not exceeding the cals.... also, i think water weight has a lot to do with it. If i gain 2-3lbs quickly it comes off again quickly if i set my mind to it the following week. Salt is the real killer, it makes your body hold onto water weight. It is discouraging though I feel your annoyance!! Stick with it, I'm sure it will come off again fast (i tell myself too)
    Steph
  • whittrusty
    whittrusty Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Water and sodium can change everything. Did you eat 7000 calories yesterday? Then you probably didn't gain 2-3 lbs of fat, just 2-3 lbs of excess sodium and water retention.

You can do it!! Just keep going!
  • candican
    candican Posts: 96
    Options
    I totally feel your pain! It's so frustrating that you can gain so much faster than you can lose!! ARghh!
  • chera325
    chera325 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I agree that it can be so frustrating; but just keep in mind that your body weight can fluctuate up to 5 lbs in one day! I try to not panic over a few pounds discrepancy.

You said you weigh yourself at the same time of day....do you weigh yourself in the morning before breakfast? I have read on many occasions, and I totally agree, that this really is the best time of day to weigh yourself.

Goodluck :)
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    There is a definite limit to how fast your body can metabolise the excess calories you're carrying around with you,,, but not so many limits on how much you can eat and store for later - especially since we stupidly invented pastry.

If you have a lot of weight to lose, you exercise hard and watch your intake, you might be able to burn off 3 pounds a weeks on a reasonably consistent basis. Just watch that silly TV show with Jillian crying and some very photogenic big folks. For most of us 2 pounds a week is more reasonable, that's 1000 cals a day, and that's what MFP can set up for you. It's pretty reliable, works pretty well. Your body/muscles/liver/etc. really do have to take that fat and break it down and run your processes on it. It only takes so much energy to run your body (Think about it,,, do you know any tricks to make your car get 8 mpg?) so therefore you can only burn it off so fast.

OTOH,,, in the age of stuffed crust pizza it's really easy to eat 2000 cals a day too much. Heck, one slice of that crap is like 800 calories. And your body is very efficient at taking as much as it can get 'hold of and putting it away for later. In 1880's Ireland this was a very good thing.

So - that's the why. To beat it we just have to eat less and move more and do it consistently over a long period of time. You can do it.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    There is a definite limit to how fast your body can metabolise the excess calories you're carrying around with you,,, but not so many limits on how much you can eat and store for later - especially since we stupidly invented pastry.

If you have a lot of weight to lose, you exercise hard and watch your intake, you might be able to burn off 3 pounds a weeks on a reasonably consistent basis. Just watch that silly TV show with Jillian crying and some very photogenic big folks. For most of us 2 pounds a week is more reasonable, that's 1000 cals a day, and that's what MFP can set up for you. It's pretty reliable, works pretty well. Your body/muscles/liver/etc. really do have to take that fat and break it down and run your processes on it. It only takes so much energy to run your body (Think about it,,, do you know any tricks to make your car get 8 mpg?) so therefore you can only burn it off so fast.

OTOH,,, in the age of stuffed crust pizza it's really easy to eat 2000 cals a day too much. Heck, one slice of that crap is like 800 calories. And your body is very efficient at taking as much as it can get 'hold of and putting it away for later. In 1880's Ireland this was a very good thing.

So - that's the why. To beat it we just have to eat less and move more and do it consistently over a long period of time. You can do it.

1880's Ireland :laugh: :laugh:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Ooops,,, quick Wiki search. Irish potato famine was more like 1845-1850. An excellent time to store some bodyfat. Nowadays,,, not so much.