Instagram Diets and Workouts?

Options
2»

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Something else to consider... and this isn't specific to IG workouts...

If you want to make progress over time (rather than just workout), you'll want to do workouts that are intended to build on each other and to progress/build over time. That's much harder to do when you're picking workouts from different sources, changing things up, confusing muscles, or whatever else, and is why the single most common response on these forums is "get on an established program". There are a lot of things I don't like about the common established programs, but you can't deny that they work and are a good, blanket starting point for most people. The pros far out weigh the cons.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Anybody that has lost like 5lbs in their lives comes up with their diet and exercise plan on IG.
  • paniz_s
    paniz_s Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

If you want to make progress over time (rather than just workout), you'll want to do workouts that are intended to build on each other and to progress/build over time. That's much harder to do when you're picking workouts from different sources, changing things up, confusing muscles, or whatever else, and is why the single most common response on these forums is "get on an established program". There are a lot of things I don't like about the common established programs, but you can't deny that they work and are a good, blanket starting point for most people. The pros far out weigh the cons.

I totally get where you’re coming from, but when is the right time to change up my workout? I’ve heard that if you do the same routine for too long you won’t get the same results? Is that true?
  • paniz_s
    Options
    Anybody that has lost like 5lbs in their lives comes up with their diet and exercise plan on IG.

Hahaha, and people like me are drawn to them and their ways
  • paniz_s
    Options
    paniz_s wrote: »

I totally get where you’re coming from, but when is the right time to change up my workout? I’ve heard that if you do the same routine for too long you won’t get the same results? Is that true?

A good routine will be programmed with progression included, so it will last as long as your goals don't change (i.e. years).

People will stop seeing results if the program doesn't grow with them, if they don't continue to challenge themselves as they progress. Doing the same 5 lifts for the same 3 sets for the same 10 reps for 6 months won't accomplish much. You need to increase the reps and or the weight, or make the lifts more challenging in some other way. And this doesn't apply to just lifting.

As for when it's right to change routines... you change routines when the routine is no longer working for you. Either because your goals changed or because it wasn't a good fit for you in the first place.

Wow very nicely put. Thank you for taking the time to read this discussion and sharing your input! Truly appreciate it!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Just to be complete, let me add this.

As you progress, results will come more slowly. This is normal. A beginner is going to make faster progress than an intermediate lifter who will see faster results than an advanced lifter. That's normal and to be expected. That doesn't mean that a program isn't working.

I'm not sure that directly applies, but it's good context to have when evaluating what you hear/read and try to figure out how that information applies to you.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,929 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

There's a kernel of truth in that, but it's super misrepresented in the clickbait-o-sphere. If you do the exact same thing at the same intensity for the same amount of time on the same number of days a week, you'll reach a fitness plateau.

If you like your fitness at that plateau, that's not a big problem.

If you want your fitness level to continue to increase, you need to increase the challenge. This is oversimplifying, because whatyou want determines specifics, but you'll need to go harder/faster, do it longer, do it more often (if you can do that and still get adequate recovery), add resistance, or something like that.

On the other hand, if you want to add a different dimension to your fitness, you may need to add some other activity. Again oversimplifying, if your main thing is cardio-oriented, and you want faster strength progress, you probably want to add a strength activity like lifting; vice versa if you lift and want better CV capability; add stretching/yoga if you want to be more flexible; etc.

It's really just common sense: Depending on your current fitness level and goals, you switch up what you do.

But this "muscle confusion" nonsense coming out of the prepackaged fitness industry? That's to sell you more fitness products/programs. If you're simply bored with what you're doing, it's fine. But its not really a path to focused progress or performance.

Do national team athletes (i e. Olympians) and professional athletes switch up what they do willy-nilly in order to make progress? No. They follow a logical, progressive, well-rounded, professionally designed program focused on their goals. Their approach may include different things at different times (in season, out of season, detailed cycles within each, etc.)

So us normal people can do the same thing, on a more modest scale: Think about our personal goals, learn how to progress toward them, take advantage of real professional expertise (not clickbait marketing) where we can access or afford it, etc.

Seriousness of purpose, a little learning, common sense.

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

A good routine will be programmed with progression included, so it will last as long as your goals don't change (i.e. years).

People will stop seeing results if the program doesn't grow with them, if they don't continue to challenge themselves as they progress. Doing the same 5 lifts for the same 3 sets for the same 10 reps for 6 months won't accomplish much. You need to increase the reps and or the weight, or make the lifts more challenging in some other way. And this doesn't apply to just lifting.

As for when it's right to change routines... you change routines when the routine is no longer working for you. Either because your goals changed or because it wasn't a good fit for you in the first place.

Even a basic/novice/beginner program should last 6-12 months. At which point, you will understand your goals and capabilities well enough to evaluate both them and prospective programs.

Put another way. Pick a goal, and an established program and follow the program for 6 months, or until you hit your goal... for example C25K is an 8-12 week program, but can take up to 16 weeks. Once you've hit that goal. figure out if you want to maintain and coast... or maintain and add a new goal. For a running program that may mean a 10K ... or a faster 5K or even a half. OR it could mean dropping your running to 2 days a week and moving to a strength training program. For me, I just hit my speed goals, so I'm moving towards regaining my bodyweight/strength goals that I had to back off from due to injury....which was why I started trying to lose some weight....
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    They're *kitten* and the play on humans desire go choose the route of least resistance.

They're photos are photo shop, generally unflexed in the before and flexed in the after. It's quite easy to do and the difference is ridiculous.

Not to mention the actual diet and workout plans that are sub par and probably won't suit your needs at all. Most of the time they don't even follow said plans either.

You can do your own duet for free and reach better results without depriving yourself. As for workout plans. There are thousands upon thousands of free effective workout plans out there.

My current plan constructed by an actual power lifting coach has added 10-20lbs on all of my lifts in just over a month. That's huge progress for a stalled lifter
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    To* their* sorry new phone auto correct constantly
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options

Haha yes!! I've lost 60 pounds and work out frequently. I have so many friends telling me to start an Instagram page with all of my "sage advice"....ummmm...is there a big Instagram market for eat less and move more?!
  • RC4655
    RC4655 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I would recommend contacting Greg Doucette on Facebook. He is an IFBB pro and is a very respectable diet coach. He is not cheap but he knows what he is talking about.