Fear of flying?

katiehepp1
katiehepp1 Posts: 138 Member
edited February 2018 in Chit-Chat
I know this isn't what people put here but it's chit chat so thought it might help me.
From when I can remember until the age of about 13/14 (I'm 20 now) I use to go on holiday once maybe three times a year via plane, when I was about 10 I got a extreme fear of flying where I would lock myself in the bathroom and a couple of times we were late and had to get another flight! Me and my partner talk of going on holiday, and it make me so anxious, even this post is making me feel sick talking about it. I know in fine in the air and I think its more the leading up to the flight I'm petrified of because all the waiting around feeling anxious is always a trigger for me, knowing I'd book a holiday months in advance getting anxious and then on the day getting to the airport early, probably throwing up a few times, I hate it. Anyone else have this and how did you get over it? Or did you just find alternative holidays???
Edit - when I think of flying and going on holiday the destination and the flight isn't what scares me, its the waiting around Knowing how anxious I'd feel, I wish it could be spontaneous on the day, and you could arrive at the airport like 10 minutes early!

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,383 Member
    I got a prescription from my doctor for Ativan for flying.

I'm not particularly fearful, but I do get some anxiety from it (I imagine most people do).

It's like night and day. I took Ativan for my flights to Japan (like 12 hours in the air!) and they made them soooo much better. We hit a bit of turbulence and I couldn't even feel it, nor did I care whatsoever. I just lounged and slept the whole flight with zero anxiety. It was great.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I'm personally fine with flying, unless it's a prop plane...but a friend of mine gets a lot of anxiety about flying and she gets a prescription...not sure what it is, I'd imagine xanax or some kind of tranquilizer or something. She's not willing to forgo flying because she and her husband have the monetary means to travel to some pretty amazing places and she doesn't want to miss out on that.

If I have to take a prop plane I usually just put away a couple shots of tequila beforehand.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    flying ?

pfft, most anywhere is within walking distance..... if you have the time.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,177 Member
    My daughter has flown numerous times but just recently I found out she has a lot of anxiety.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Ativan works until you talk to a pilot who says something like geez that's all I want a cabin full of drugged passengers.

If you can find a therapist to speak with that might help. There are online support groups that can help.

I used to be terrified of flying which was off because I had been fine, flew to Australia and Europe many times then one flight was delayed and I was going to ask for my bags to be removed. I'd make myself ill before flights and for flights I'd spend the entire time with my head in my hands waiting for something to happen. Then I got Ativan and then I got guilted into therapy which was the best thing really. For me it was a fear of being confined in the cabin, loss of control, not knowing what could happen or was going on and as I waited the anxiety would just boil over. If you don't have access to a therapist look online for support groups. There are some and after one message they got in touch right away and had lots of literature to read. I'm now fine flying
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,794 Member
    Try CBD oil. 5mg to start out. I can walk into a Walmart on a Saturday afternoon on CBD oil and everything is chill.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    No fear at all. Wish I could fly more, but the cost is prohibitive.