New JAMA Weight Loss Study

Options
I just saw this article about the findings of a study recently published by the Journal of the American Medical Association that looked into the importance of diet quality, specifically eating either a low-fat or low-carb diet, to successful weight loss. Both the low-fat and low-carb groups were directed to eat whole foods with no added sugar and refined grains, but they did not count calories. Both groups were successful using this approach rather than counting calories. At any rate, I thought it was interesting and worth sharing given the emphasis on CICO in here. It can be expected that fewer calories will likely be consumed with a diet rich in whole foods, but calorie counting is not the be all end all for weight loss. As they say, there is more than one way to skin a cat. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/20/well/eat/counting-calories-weight-loss-diet-dieting-low-carb-low-fat.html

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone else here eat WFPB like me, but it constantly baffles me when people say on the Facebook page that they’ve been eating plant based for XX weeks and haven’t lost weight.

Yes nuts and avocadoes are plants. Eating them will NOT automatically make you lose weight.

I am not strictly whole foods, but I am a vegan who eats a lot of whole foods and I agree -- some of my most calorie-dense meals are the ones that have the most whole foods.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    This comic is getting quite a workout this week:
    phd051809s.gif

You should add this to your post, "I like old posts and I cannot lie".
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Here's a different take on the same study: https://examine.com/nutrition/low-fat-vs-low-carb-for-weight-loss/
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I really want to find out who the idiot at NYP that put this POS out there for public consumption. The author or the article, as well as the Doctor quoted, need to gain a basic understanding of the English language as what they reported had NOTHING to do with what the study was about or the conclusions drawn.

The study is interesting. The reporting of it is a steaming pile of male bovine manure.

You're taking this really hard, aren't you? :wink:
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I really want to find out who the idiot at NYP that put this POS out there for public consumption. The author or the article, as well as the Doctor quoted, need to gain a basic understanding of the English language as what they reported had NOTHING to do with what the study was about or the conclusions drawn.

The study is interesting. The reporting of it is a steaming pile of male bovine manure.

I don't know why it's pissed me off so badly. It just set something off for some reason.

I mean, weight loss is hard enough, the study offers some good helpful insight, and then some quack and some hack go and write crap about it and that is what ends up on FB, here, and I'm sure my wife will read it. We've had ~ 6 threads that reference it, and only one started off referring to the actual study in some way and not just quoting the crap article.

I know. I need a Snickers.

And a hug :smile:

(You're not wrong, though)
  • SusanMcMc
    SusanMcMc Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

I don't know why it's pissed me off so badly. It just set something off for some reason.

I mean, weight loss is hard enough, the study offers some good helpful insight, and then some quack and some hack go and write crap about it and that is what ends up on FB, here, and I'm sure my wife will read it. We've had ~ 6 threads that reference it, and only one started off referring to the actual study in some way and not just quoting the crap article.

I know. I need a Snickers.

If it makes you feel better, this sort of stuff makes me see red too. I was ranting to my husband this morning when I first read the NYT article. I HATE bad science reporting with the fiery passion of 1,000 suns.