Losing weight but not fat

Options
2»

Replies

• tracylp6178
    tracylp6178 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I’m trying to lose the fat around my stomach. I have weighed myself a couple of times and see that i am slowly losing weight, obviously I have my days when I overeat but I’ve noticed that even though I am losing weight I havent lost any fat from my stomach.

I don’t understand why I’m losing it from other places but not where I actually want.

Also I have a bad habit of wanting to snack. Not because I’m hungry, I just have the urge to nibble all the time. It’s especially bad at night time after dinner. I find myself wanting to nibble on snacks. But I never fancy fruit, I always crave crunchy snacks that I can just put in my mouth one after another.

I tried nuts but I can overeat on nuts really easily and have no filter and they also contain a lot of fat which doesn’t help. I know air-popped popcorn is a good healthy snack at night. But I’ve been told it is bad to eat carbs at night and you should eat protein.

But all the protein foods I see are high in calories or they contain lots of carbs, fat or sugar too. I’ve tried yoghurt but it’s not satisfying and when I eat it with granola, I end up eating way too much granola than is necessary.

Any suggestions on late night snacks. That are healthy and low in carbs, fat and sugar and calories. I’ve currently gave up meat for lent but open to the suggestions for after I have finished lent. Although I do not eat pork and I am not really a fan of beef.

Also are there any sports or workouts that help lose fat from your stomach. I have heard weight training helps but I wouldn’t know where to start and I’m a bit to embarrassed to do it on my own in the gym.

I buy 100 calorie microwave popcorn. They are mini bags so they are already portioned out and does the trick when I’m craving salty crunchy goodness.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    As everyone has already pointed out you can't spot reduce.... as for snacks If want something sweet I really like greek crunch yogurts, 130 cals. Angies Light Kettle Corn cals depend on how much I pour, and cheesesticks.
  • Adaro666
    Adaro666 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, it takes some time... when I started with the diet, I lost 20 lbs and nothing happened with my belly. Then, from one week to the other, I lost more then 3 inches. There's no linear connection with weight and girth (at least in my case): I drop weight and nothing happens, I'm in a plateau, my weight stays the same or even increases slightly but girth is shrinking... so just stay the course and you'll succeed in the end. Regarding snacks: a good alternative are vegetables like carrots, bell pepper, kohlrabi with a dip of sour cream with a little seasoning and herbs... believe me, I used to be not very keen on greenstuff but after I tried, it was quite tasty. Good luck on your journey!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Adaro666 wrote: »
    Don't worry, it takes some time... when I started with the diet, I lost 20 lbs and nothing happened with my belly. Then, from one week to the other, I lost more then 3 inches. There's no linear connection with weight and girth (at least in my case): I drop weight and nothing happens, I'm in a plateau, my weight stays the same or even increases slightly but girth is shrinking... so just stay the course and you'll succeed in the end.

This makes no sense.

But is exactly what happens to me as well.

I really don't get it.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Have you tried chewing gum to occupy your mouth? Or brushing your teeth ready for bed earlier in the night so that you then don’t fancy the taste of other foods? It sounds like your evening snacking is habitual so the best thing would be to try to break that munching habit so that you’re then only snacking when you’re actually hungry as opposed to mindlessness or boredom. Easier said than done, I know!
  • 2deltacharlie
    2deltacharlie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Try beef or chicken broth. You can have a mug or two and still be at 50 calories max. Caution: check the sodium content, usually on the high side. If your blood pressure is under control maybe you can tolerate it for a couple of weeks or thereabouts...maybe...
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    _mr_b wrote: »
    There’s no telling which fat goes first, just stick with it!

You can help things along by doing more core exercises as that’ll help tone things up.

Core exercises may help strengthen the muscles beneath the fat, but they'll do absolutely nothing to preferentially reduce the fat in that region. Spot reduction is not possible and there's no exercise, diet or supplement which will make it happen.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,402 Member
    Options
    I would love to lose fat on my thighs and calves. I really wished for it. Instead, my breasts got smaller (great) and my stomach got even flatter and now pants are still too tight on the legs and too wide at the top. It's genetics. You can't decide where you lose weight. Chances are though that it takes longest where you have most fat as your body sees that area as a priority in fat storage.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,402 Member
    Options
    Adaro666 wrote: »
    Don't worry, it takes some time... when I started with the diet, I lost 20 lbs and nothing happened with my belly. Then, from one week to the other, I lost more then 3 inches. There's no linear connection with weight and girth (at least in my case): I drop weight and nothing happens, I'm in a plateau, my weight stays the same or even increases slightly but girth is shrinking... so just stay the course and you'll succeed in the end. Regarding snacks: a good alternative are vegetables like carrots, bell pepper, kohlrabi with a dip of sour cream with a little seasoning and herbs... believe me, I used to be not very keen on greenstuff but after I tried, it was quite tasty. Good luck on your journey!

You're the opposite of a whoosher? That's really fascinating :D Maybe you're holding air in your cells, which then deflates all of a sudden :p
  • deanwillmore23
    deanwillmore23 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi more weights less cardio good luck
  • Orvillitron
    Orvillitron Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm a crunchy snack person too, but am also a big veggie fan.

I munch carrots if I need a snack. A bit sweet, crunchy, high fiber and generally very satisfying.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I’m trying to lose the fat around my stomach. I have weighed myself a couple of times and see that i am slowly losing weight, obviously I have my days when I overeat but I’ve noticed that even though I am losing weight I havent lost any fat from my stomach.

I don’t understand why I’m losing it from other places but not where I actually want.

Also I have a bad habit of wanting to snack. Not because I’m hungry, I just have the urge to nibble all the time. It’s especially bad at night time after dinner. I find myself wanting to nibble on snacks. But I never fancy fruit, I always crave crunchy snacks that I can just put in my mouth one after another.

I tried nuts but I can overeat on nuts really easily and have no filter and they also contain a lot of fat which doesn’t help. I know air-popped popcorn is a good healthy snack at night. But I’ve been told it is bad to eat carbs at night and you should eat protein.

But all the protein foods I see are high in calories or they contain lots of carbs, fat or sugar too. I’ve tried yoghurt but it’s not satisfying and when I eat it with granola, I end up eating way too much granola than is necessary.

Any suggestions on late night snacks. That are healthy and low in carbs, fat and sugar and calories. I’ve currently gave up meat for lent but open to the suggestions for after I have finished lent. Although I do not eat pork and I am not really a fan of beef.

Also are there any sports or workouts that help lose fat from your stomach. I have heard weight training helps but I wouldn’t know where to start and I’m a bit to embarrassed to do it on my own in the gym.

You can't spot reduce fat. Fat will come off from wherever...you have zero control over that. The midsection is primary fat deposits for many women and the vast majority of men...primary fat deposits are deep and they are a first on, last off kind of thing.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    angelsja wrote: »
    You can't spot lose fat it will come off from all over the place we want it is usually the hardest to lose it from as that's usually where the most fat is located just keep at it :)

^ This is absolutely true, but there are things you can do to tone the area and improve the appearance. If you're working on your stomach specifically, try crunches, planks, leg lifts, bicycle lifts, scissor kicks, etc. These are all things you can do from the comfort of your own bedroom - this is what I do to help with my belly fat. But ultimately, the above comments are correct, be consistent with your diet and don't give up!

No offense, but I train my A S S off in the gym. 5-6 days a week a few hours per session. If I knew all it took was some scissor kicks to have a great stomach, I'd have it.

It's because people have some minor ab definition and think they found the hidden elixir. Same here, 2 hour sessions 6 days a week. All compound movements. Being 12-14% body fat my abs don't show overly well, but he'll are they strong.

So many people seem to confused defined abs with strong abs and intelligent training.

But nah you got some hella decent abs
  • slossia
    slossia Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    What he said