Confused

Options
2»

Replies

• kiwiroz
    kiwiroz Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My fitbit is giving me crazy calories back at the moment. I am set to active because I get 11,000 steps plus a day but it is also giving me an additional 550 calories back on top of this. I seriously dont trust it now and have started ignoring those which mean I am getting a huge 'deficit' but I am not convinced it is a real deficit. The only thing you can do is trust the process but maybe don't trust the additional calories from the fitbit. Try eating half back. If you don't get the results you expect eat a third back until the real world matches the math.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    tony090370 wrote: »
    I've been at it since July 16, and have lost around 50lb to date - I will add to that though that I've had long periods of "not trying", so could have been much more. I've lost 14lb in 2018 so far.

When I am trying, then I regularly lose at least 1lb per week without doing much in the way of exercise - I would usually go for a 3-4 mile walk on Saturday and Sunday, but not much at all in the week. What's thrown me is doing the same things food-wise, but increasing exercise to 3-4 miles daily seems to change the weight loss to 0.5 lb per week? My legs were already pretty muscly due to walking around carrying 350lb, so I don't think it's extra muscle weight being formed either.

Don't get me wrong, I aim to carry on with the walking and cutting intake, but I like to try to understand what's happening and why increased exercise seems to have slowed weight loss.

14 lbs in 7 weeks in 2018. You're doing fine and yeah, the loss goes in spurts. I spend 2 weeks at one weight and then lose 2-3 lbs in a couple of days. Have since I was 300 lbs. I lost faster than you are at the start (15 lbs a month for 3 months) but I don't think that is a good goal. 2017 I was pretty close to 1 lb per week average, taking the summer months off completely.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    tony090370 wrote: »
    I've been at it since July 16, and have lost around 50lb to date - I will add to that though that I've had long periods of "not trying", so could have been much more. I've lost 14lb in 2018 so far.

When I am trying, then I regularly lose at least 1lb per week without doing much in the way of exercise - I would usually go for a 3-4 mile walk on Saturday and Sunday, but not much at all in the week. What's thrown me is doing the same things food-wise, but increasing exercise to 3-4 miles daily seems to change the weight loss to 0.5 lb per week? My legs were already pretty muscly due to walking around carrying 350lb, so I don't think it's extra muscle weight being formed either.

Don't get me wrong, I aim to carry on with the walking and cutting intake, but I like to try to understand what's happening and why increased exercise seems to have slowed weight loss.

I've experienced this phenomenon, too. I don't eat back my exercise calories. I don't trust any of the exercise burn calculators. I look at exercise as doing something good for my body to tone & strengthen, but I don't count on it to help me lose weight. For me, to lose weight, I have to reduce my calories. Wishing you all the best. Don't get discouraged :)
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'd also think you're over estimating your effort. 500-1000 calories burned would be a hell of a set of multiple workouts. A lot of estimates have running a 5k at between 200-300 calories and that's running it. So if you're just walking it, its going to be a lot less than that. So let's even say 200, so do you really think you're walking 15 miles (25k) extra a day?

?????

Running a 5 K at 300 lbs is going to burn (5*.621)*.63*300 =~585 calories. I'm 210 lbs and burn ~ 400 calories running a 5K.

Walking 5K should burn (5*.621)*.3*300 ~280 cals.

Weight loss isn't linear seems to be the answer. How much have you lost in total since starting, and what time frame? You should be able to average 1-2 lbs per week.

Show me someone show is 300lbs and runs a 5k. You might run a very small portion of it. A very small portion.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I'd also think you're over estimating your effort. 500-1000 calories burned would be a hell of a set of multiple workouts. A lot of estimates have running a 5k at between 200-300 calories and that's running it. So if you're just walking it, its going to be a lot less than that. So let's even say 200, so do you really think you're walking 15 miles (25k) extra a day?

?????

Running a 5 K at 300 lbs is going to burn (5*.621)*.63*300 =~585 calories. I'm 210 lbs and burn ~ 400 calories running a 5K.

Weight loss isn't linear seems to be the answer. How much have you lost in total since starting, and what time frame? You should be able to average 1-2 lbs per week.

Show me someone show is 300lbs and runs a 5k. You might run a very small portion of it. A very small portion.

Show up at some 5ks. You'll see folks that are 300 lbs finish them running. I ran a 5k at 260-265.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

?????

Show up at some 5ks. You'll see folks that are 300 lbs finish them running. I ran a 5k at 260-265.

Ditto.

Even now at 210 I burn ~400 cals in a 5K. So I'm not sure where the 200-300 comes from, except for smaller individuals.

• BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

?????

Er, no. I've run plenty of 5k races and have seen many, many runners who weigh over 300lbs and who run the whole dang thing.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

?????

Er, no. I've run plenty of 5k races and have seen many, many runners who weigh over 300lbs and who run the whole dang thing.

Honestly, having been 260, 300 isn't all that heavy. 450... that's heavy to run a 5K. But plenty of folks maintain overall general fitness as they gain weight/get fat... and don't notice because they're still able to accomplish 99% of their goals.

At 250-260--see my profile pic... I could do a clean pistol squat... touch the heel of my hand to the floor with my legs fully straight... and hold myself inverted while removing one hand from the floor. And yes... run 3 miles at a 10-11 minute pace.
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options

?????

Been there, done that, I've even run a few 10ks. Congrats on getting some exercise!
  • combsshan
    combsshan Posts: 47 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I think I agree with a lot of the others that your fitbit may be giving you a false amount of calories burned. 500-1000 seems like a lot for only walking 5-6 miles a day even at your current weight. I know my exercise bike grossly overestimates calories burned.