Training for 3 sports. So what do you do?

Options
Ok as the title says im currently training for 3 sports so what do you do and how?

The 3 sports are weight lifting, taekwondo (sparring) and running (events +OCR)

So one evening I decided how I was going to do it and bingo it came to me. Regards to weight lifting I knew my aim was to be asthectic as possible without being massive so that would put me into heavy weight category in taekwondo.....so adjusting how I would spar would be changed, which eliminating jump and spinning kicks. Then running well thats just handy to keep excess fat of and help with endurance. However I never run more than 3 miles (training) and never more than a 6 mile event.

What about you? What do you do and how do overcome adversity and link your training between sports?

Replies

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,998 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Well, I don't do multiple sports, but the sport I do requires multiple fitness "groups" if you will.

I need:
    --Strength to turn the bike and speed, and control it under braking
    --Strength to completely support your body with your core and legs for the majority of the time
    --"Explosive" muscle endurance as you are constantly shifting your weight, often against force through out a race. Different tracks require more of this with fewer breaks
    --Cardio endurance to maintain all of the above at "race pace" for 20-40 minutes depending on one's level of competition
    --Overall endurance to maintain proper use of your body for the duration of the race(s)
    --Conditioning to handle multiple races in a day
    --Balance and reactions to handle all the nuances of riding at the edge of traction

I work with a trainer familiar with the sport and its unique needs, and work with him to put together a training plan that will help with all of the above while focusing on some of my own weaknesses, plus variety to keep me engaged and willing to keep at it.

The plan we developed looks something like this:
    5 week rotation
    Weeks 1 and 3: M, W, F 30 min cardio followed by ST for about 80 min. T/R 15 min warm up followed by 90 min muscle endurance routine
    Weeks 2 and 4: M, W, F CrossFit inspired ST routine, T/R CrossFit inspired cardio routine
    Week 5 includes 1-2 longer "cardio" steady state "workouts" (such as a bicycle ride) and the other days are just a light version of my other workouts at a lower intensity and only about an hour long instead of my usual ~2 hour workouts.

Lots of balance work included, obviously full body ST is a requirement, but my heavy lifting is more focused on upper body since, as a female, that's an area I struggle in that most of the guys don't have to worry as much about.
  • hellbound747
    hellbound747 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't do multiple sports, but the sport I do requires multiple fitness "groups" if you will.

I need:
    --Strength to turn the bike and speed, and control it under braking
    --Strength to completely support your body with your core and legs for the majority of the time
    --"Explosive" muscle endurance as you are constantly shifting your weight, often against force through out a race. Different tracks require more of this with fewer breaks
    --Cardio endurance to maintain all of the above at "race pace" for 20-40 minutes depending on one's level of competition
    --Overall endurance to maintain proper use of your body for the duration of the race(s)
    --Conditioning to handle multiple races in a day
    --Balance and reactions to handle all the nuances of riding at the edge of traction

I work with a trainer familiar with the sport and its unique needs, and work with him to put together a training plan that will help with all of the above while focusing on some of my own weaknesses, plus variety to keep me engaged and willing to keep at it.

The plan we developed looks something like this:
    5 week rotation
    Weeks 1 and 3: M, W, F 30 min cardio followed by ST for about 80 min. T/R 15 min warm up followed by 90 min muscle endurance routine
    Weeks 2 and 4: M, W, F CrossFit inspired ST routine, T/R CrossFit inspired cardio routine
    Week 5 includes 1-2 longer "cardio" steady state "workouts" (such as a bicycle ride) and the other days are just a light version of my other workouts at a lower intensity and only about an hour long instead of my usual ~2 hour workouts.

Lots of balance work included, obviously full body ST is a requirement, but my heavy lifting is more focused on upper body since, as a female, that's an area I struggle in that most of the guys don't have to worry as much about.

Awesome stuff. Interesting sport that on avarage people don't really get into. Because some may prefer 4 wheels or a bag of wind (football). Plus to be female in a male dominated sport (not to be sexist) takes guts and brass bo##ocks. Very intensive workouts so keep up the good work. May see you on motoGP if im to assume your chosen sport is motorsport
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Awesome stuff. Interesting sport that on avarage people don't really get into. Because some may prefer 4 wheels or a bag of wind (football). Plus to be female in a male dominated sport (not to be sexist) takes guts and brass bo##ocks. Very intensive workouts so keep up the good work. May see you on motoGP if im to assume your chosen sport is motorsport

Hahaha, not MotoGP, but hopefully will make the MotoAmerica grid next year at least as a wild card at the local tracks!
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Multisport + strength training. Goals, organization, a plan that makes sense, and consistency.

I'd start by asking, what's your "A" race or "A" goal for the season? It'll impact how you train (maybe you need leg strength for taekwondo, so you avoid running intervals and leg-strength-training the day before your harder training sessions).

Running slow and steady for several weeks is important baseline training. That shouldn't impact your taekwondo/strength training too greatly, as long as you fuel properly (and recover properly if your workouts are over 90 minutes), sleep more, and increase your *overall* volume slowly and steadily.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Lots of circuit training and brick training. Try to incorporate some of your workouts that will mimic the movements you will be doing to increase strength. I normally do a couple mountain bike races as well as obstacle races every year. This year I am trying my first triathlon so training for multiple sports in my opinion means just overall strength, endurance and mobility. Always change things up to find weak and strong areas. Something as simple changing hand grip can work completely different muscles. Best of luck!
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I do OCRs. I strength train 4 days per week and run 2 days per week with bodyweight exercises.

Lift Day 1,3: Squats, weighted dips
    Lift Day 2,4: Deadlifts, pullups
    Run Day 1,2: Run 2 miles, 5 sets of: burpee pullups, ring pullups, dips, pushups
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Lots of circuit training and brick training. Try to incorporate some of your workouts that will mimic the movements you will be doing to increase strength. I normally do a couple mountain bike races as well as obstacle races every year. This year I am trying my first triathlon so training for multiple sports in my opinion means just overall strength, endurance and mobility. Always change things up to find weak and strong areas. Something as simple changing hand grip can work completely different muscles. Best of luck!

Your first tri, nice! Which one?

After I finish my (first) IM this year I'd love to try an obstacle course. They look like fun and I actually enjoy strength training (when I have the time/energy).
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I'd say you are really doing only one sport...Taekwondo.

The weightlifting and running you do is supplementary training to improve your performance in your sport...Taekwondo.

I lift weights but don't call it a sport. It would only be a sport if I was competing in weightlifting or powerlifting.

Competitive bodybuilding I do not consider a "sport". It is not an athletic event. Neither is bowling.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    pdxhak wrote: »
    I do OCRs. I strength train 4 days per week and run 2 days per week with bodyweight exercises.

Run Day 1,2: Run 2 miles, 5 sets of: burpee pullups, ring pullups, dips, pushups

Interesting. I'm bulking right now and lifting exclusively, but the rest of the year a do OCRs competitively. My training then consists of Crossfit 3x a week and running 3-10 miles 3x a week.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    My training for 3 sports is based on the concept of periodization, since I'm focused on endurance races. Right now, I'm in a winter base building phase that has a heavier bike focus(6-7 hrs/week) and swim focus(6-7000yds/week) and not focused on running since I'm rehabbing a cranky heel. I also do 2 strength sessions/week with a trainer to work on core strength and flexibility.

So a typical week is: Monday - strength am, easy bike pm, Tuesday - aerobic bike, Wed - Swim (drill focused), Thursday - High Intensity bike, Friday - am strength, pm Swim (speed/endurance) Sat am - Endurance bike, Sunday - am Swim Clinic, pm easy bike.

All my training is based on HR zones, and tracked via a tool to monitor both fitness and fatigue. This spring, I will resume running in March to prep for a half marathon in April, then resume a triathlon build for a 70.3 race in June and continuing to build volume for my goal race, which is IMMT, in August. I'll then switch back to a run focus in the fall before taking a training break in Nov.
  • hellbound747
    hellbound747 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    I'd say you are really doing only one sport...Taekwondo.

The weightlifting and running you do is supplementary training to improve your performance in your sport...Taekwondo.

I lift weights but don't call it a sport. It would only be a sport if I was competing in weightlifting or powerlifting.

Competitive bodybuilding I do not consider a "sport". It is not an athletic event. Neither is bowling.

Well said. Can not argue with that and its put the topic into a different perspective. Thank you!
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    pdxhak wrote: »

Interesting. I'm bulking right now and lifting exclusively, but the rest of the year a do OCRs competitively. My training then consists of Crossfit 3x a week and running 3-10 miles 3x a week.

I am not strong or fast enough to do it competitively but working on it. I have been on this split for 4 weeks. My first OCR is in 7 weeks and wanted to focus the workouts around that.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    Options
    My main sport is cycling.

But I also walk a lot, climb flights and flights of stairs (real ones, not stairmaster), run a bit (did a 10K event in January), row at the gym, and lift some weights. And I'll dabble in a few other things.

I think the cross-training helps my general fitness, works different muscles than the cycling, and compliments the cycling.