Gaining Leg Strength after ankle surgery

OK - brief history -- 38 year old female, run 12-15 miles/week, lift 5x week (Current bench press is 3x10 at 135-145lbs).

I had ankle reconstruction surgery January 2017, so 13 months ago. I've been running for 6 months, so all is good, but I can't seem to gain strength back in my legs. I'm only squatting 95 lbs for 3 sets, 8-10 reps. Deadlift is the same, 95lb. As I was first coming back to lifting, I focused on machines versus free weights, and I can leg press 270, but when it comes to free weights, I'm struggling. I started doing free weights ~3 months ago.

Any advice?

Replies

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Are you following a progressive program for squats and deads?
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    Are you following a progressive program for squats and deads?

Not officially, but started with just the bar, then added plates each week and now I'm stuck at 95lbs. That's a great idea though. Any recommendations?
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Here's a great thread about programs.

I would go with a beginner program based on your numbers for S & D's.

If your goal is strength, I might suggest Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength.
    These programs will instruct you what to do when you stall. (Typically drop the weight a bit and build back up, or change up your set/rep scheme.)

It sounds like you have already built up from the bar, so if your form is good you don't need to completely start over. You could start at your current 95 for 5x5, or a bit less. (If you are doing that weight for 3x 8-10 you should be able to do 5x5. But starting conservative and working up gives you ample time to adjust to the new scheme and build from there.)
  • acbraswell
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Here's a great thread about programs.

I would go with a beginner program based on your numbers for S & D's.

If your goal is strength, I might suggest Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength.
    These programs will instruct you what to do when you stall. (Typically drop the weight a bit and build back up, or change up your set/rep scheme.)

It sounds like you have already built up from the bar, so if your form is good you don't need to completely start over. You could start at your current 95 for 5x5, or a bit less. (If you are doing that weight for 3x 8-10 you should be able to do 5x5. But starting conservative and working up gives you ample time to adjust to the new scheme and build from there.)

Thanks for this! I've never really followed a scripted program before, but I need all the help I can get now!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 2,057 Member
    edited February 2018
    I might also suggest looking into foot strength as being a bit of a potential problem.

I'm back to the gym after the better part of a year where walking was a challenge, and NWB for 3 months before that (tib/fib pilon fracture). I'm noticing that my foot atrophy is often as much if not more of the culprit at this point than my leg strength. Resistance bands and other foot-specific exercises may help you out, issue is it takes time.

Have you had your gait evaluated by a sports PT? Could be you're avoiding using certain muscles without even realizing it - I make good use of the mirrors in my gym just for this, caught another just this week where I was placing my bad leg just a little off from what I did with my good leg in an unconscious effort to use the stronger muscles in the bad leg. Corrected it and instantly realized just how much I had been "off" even though it was just a little turn of my toes and making sure my knee didn't wiggle out like it wanted to.
  • acbraswell
    I might also suggest looking into foot strength as being a bit of a potential problem.

I'm back to the gym after the better part of a year where walking was a challenge, and NWB for 3 months before that (tib/fib pilon fracture). I'm noticing that my foot atrophy is often as much if not more of the culprit at this point than my leg strength. Resistance bands and other foot-specific exercises may help you out, issue is it takes time.

Have you had your gait evaluated by a sports PT? Could be you're avoiding using certain muscles without even realizing it - I make good use of the mirrors in my gym just for this, caught another just this week where I was placing my bad leg just a little off from what I did with my good leg in an unconscious effort to use the stronger muscles in the bad leg. Corrected it and instantly realized just how much I had been "off" even though it was just a little turn of my toes and making sure my knee didn't wiggle out like it wanted to.

I did PT with a sports PT at my Ortho's office for 6 weeks and was released, but I have noticed that my left foot/ankle has less strength than the right. When I think about it (which isn't often), I try to do some of the PT exercises, and I'll shift my weight to the bad leg when standing to try to improve strength.

I may try another evaluation with a PT to check my gait. Thanks!