Effective ab building workouts?

Options
Has anyone got a decent ab routine that builds ab muscles up that I could follow and that they know works ?
Thanks all.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    You're doing PHAT, right? You'll build abs doing that...
  • kazane1
    kazane1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options

Ahh okay then that’s quite good to know then thank you for telling me this :D
  • kazane1
    Options
    Shaun T's T25 beta phase, 5 days a week for 5 weeks of core workouts. It worked for me.

Thanks for letting me know I will be sure to follow this if the phat workout doesn’t work my abs the way I’m wanting it too.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Where's the face palm emoji?! :(
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options

Have I told you lately that I love you? h.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options

Have I told you lately that I love you? h.

Nope <3
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

This is really all that needs to be said. But if you want more, Planks are where it's at for core building.

IF you want more!!!

1. Floor plank-Lay flat on your face/belly(Think Superman pose) beginning with your toes, introduce tension into your muscles maintaining tension as you go until you are tense from head to toe. Pay special attention to glutes, and abs. Hold for 15-30 seconds then release the same way.
    2. High Plank-Same as above, but as the tension passes through your shoulders, begin to draw your arms under your shoulder blades and finish in a "pushup position" Hold 15-30 seconds to begin.. but no more than 120. -Lower to floor and release tension as before.
    3. Low plank-Same as above, but after a brief pause at the top, lower to 90 degrees arm bend for 5-10 seconds before reversing up, and relaxing down and out. This one can be held for up to 30 seconds if desired.

Don't try the low plank until you can hold the high for 45 seconds or so. IF you don't have a timer or someone time for you, use breaths/heartbeats... 1 natural(not exaggerated) slow breath(in/out) is about 5 seconds.

Once you master the above series, incorporate knees to elbows and shoulder touches.

Once you master the shoulder touches-incorporate weights... starting with 15-25 lb dumbbell/Kbells

IMO, don't waste your time with classic(elbow) planks....
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    If you are novice or early intermediate you will get plenty of ab work through a good program such as Starting Strength. Where with proper nutrition and rest muscle synthesis is easily achieved.

Once and if you decide to move onto more advanced training, then V-sit holds & roll outs will give the majority of lifters better results.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    As wolfman said, no need for an ab "routine" if you are compound lifting.

I developed a 6 pack and full body muscle tone/definition by only doing 4 compound lifts (DL, SQT, OHP & BP) plus some pushups, pullups and dips.

HOWEVER, the only thing that made my abs and other muscles visible was dropping my BF down to 10% (as measured by hydro).

Without losing the necessary BF (which varies for everyone), no amount of exercise will enable you to SEE the results of your efforts regardless of what "routine" you use to develop your abs.

BTW, it took me over 18 months to achieve this. So, you will not see results overnight regardless of what you do.

Patience, determination and discipline are key.
  • kazane1
    Options
    kazane1 wrote: »
    Shaun T's T25 beta phase, 5 days a week for 5 weeks of core workouts. It worked for me.

Thanks for letting me know I will be sure to follow this if the phat workout doesn’t work my abs the way I’m wanting it too.

From reading your other posts it seems you are too caught up in the details. No one will know what will happen to their bodies without doing what they need to do, it's all trial and error.

You just need to do the programme, eat well, rest well, repeat.

Good information!
  • kazane1
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

I developed a 6 pack and full body muscle tone/definition by only doing 4 compound lifts (DL, SQT, OHP & BP) plus some pushups, pullups and dips.

HOWEVER, the only thing that made my abs and other muscles visible was dropping my BF down to 10% (as measured by hydro).

Without losing the necessary BF (which varies for everyone), no amount of exercise will enable you to SEE the results of your efforts regardless of what "routine" you use to develop your abs.

BTW, it took me over 18 months to achieve this. So, you will not see results overnight regardless of what you do.

How are you meant to get your body fat down when your eating in a surplus in order to bulk? Thanks
  • kazane1
    Options
    Thanks all!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

How are you meant to get your body fat down when your eating in a surplus in order to bulk? Thanks

Didn't see any prior reference to bulking.

If that's the case, you'll just get fatter as you bulk and you'll never see your abs while you do.

LOTS of very big & strong fat men w/lots of muscle under all that fat. They just want to get big and strong and don't care about the fat.

If you want to look lean/toned w/a visible 6 pack and muscle defn, you'll have to cut and give up some (but probably not all) of the muscle & strength gained while bulking.

After many iterations of bulking and cutting, you "may" be able to get huge and lean at the same time but that's not realistic for most of us.

There's no free lunch.
  • kazane1
    Options

Didn't see any prior reference to bulking.

If that's the case, you'll just get fatter as you bulk and you'll never see your abs while you do.

LOTS of very big & strong fat men w/lots of muscle under all that fat. They just want to get big and strong and don't care about the fat.

If you want to look lean/toned w/a visible 6 pack and muscle defn, you'll have to cut and give up some (but probably not all) of the muscle & strength gained while bulking.

After many iterations of bulking and cutting, you "may" be able to get huge and lean at the same time but that's not realistic for most of us.

There's no free lunch.

Ahh that’s great to know thank you for the help and the information!