Anyone have Lasik eye surgery?

Options
LongIsland27itl
LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
I'm going for PRK surgery soon, anyone have experiences?

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    From -9 contact lenses to 20/15 right, 20/30 left. I'm happy. Beats being blind as glasses were NOT an option when I needed to see after taking my contacts out to clean them.

I have occasional trouble seeing faces and other objects in line with lights, but no other negative effects.
  • lovelyx091
    lovelyx091 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    bump, because I'm interested, too!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I did it about 7 years ago. It is absolutely the best thing I have ever done for myself.

The procedure took about 15 minutes from start to finish. Once the numbing drops wore off my eyes stung really bad, so I went home to take a nap. When I woke up the pain was gone and my vision was perfect.

My procedure was on a Friday morning, so I had my followup appointment late in the day that same afternoon. I didn't drive myself to that appointment, but I certainly could have. My vision has been 20/10 (better than when I wore contact and glasses) ever since.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I got Laser, PRK wasn't right for me although I considered it. I had it 4 years ago and it was the best decision I've made. I have had no issues, and no regrets.
  • LongIsland27itl
    Options
    Thanks for the replys, I can't wait to see normal without dealing w/contacts every day
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    My wife had it done a few months ago. Went from legally blind to 20/15 and she has been bouncing off the walls since. First time in 52 years without glasses and first time without restricted drivers license. She was nervous before the surgery but after they did the first eye she could not wait for the second. I have never seen her as happy as she is now.
  • LongIsland27itl
    Options
    My wife had it done a few months ago. Went from legally blind to 20/15 and she has been bouncing off the walls since. First time in 52 years without glasses and first time without restricted drivers license. She was nervous before the surgery but after they did the first eye she could not wait for the second. I have never seen her as happy as she is now.
    this is great, do you know if she had the PRK, or regular LASIK?
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    bump
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    PRK as is very happy
  • fShaw86
    fShaw86 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    In one word, recommended! So amazing to wake up every morning with perfect vision...
  • emaren
    emaren Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I did it about 12 years ago.

As I close in on 50 though I need reading glasses for really close work.

I have a slight partial halo (upper right) in my right eye, left eye, which was the worst eye, is perfect.

Totally work it....
  • LongIsland27itl
    Options
    I'm in New York, contemplating if its worth it to go into Manhattan for the surgery (1hr away), or if I should stay local. Would one board certified surgeon really be much better than another more popular one?
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Had cataract surgery one year ago. Developed a film over both implanted corrective lenses and was almost legally blind again. Had the laser surgery to blast of the film of the lenses in January. I can see clearly now... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkwJ-g0iJ6w
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Had monovision Lasik done by LasikPlus about 3-1/2 years ago. they are nationwide,reputable,and the surgeon has done 100s of THOUSANDS of patients. Very fast. Had a driver drive me home. Price comes with a 1-x "re-do" in my lifetime. I can read teeny tiny teeniest print AND see perfect distance. With both eyes. Late at night if I'm out and my eyes are tired, then the mono-vision is pronounced but not unbearable. (left eye is reading eye, right eye is distance eye.) And since I'm not a party animal after 9pm, its really not an issue at all.

Highly recommend it! Best thing I ever did. Oh, and make sure you protect your investment with a pair of high-end sunglasses. Like Maui Jim's or the like. You need them before surgery.

:smokin:

Edited to add: 1 board certified sugeon NOT better than the other....a BCS who ONLY does Lasik gets my vote. If you call around, look on their websites, and ask what their usual numbers of Lasik patients, you may be surprised at the various answers. Good luck! :drinker: :drinker:
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I'm in New York, contemplating if its worth it to go into Manhattan for the surgery (1hr away), or if I should stay local. Would one board certified surgeon really be much better than another more popular one?

You can check their rating by googling them. Being more popular is often a domino effect... once you get more reviews than other people, you look more trustworthy.

I had Lasik done a few years ago, and I love it. I think mine was bladeless, but I can't remember for sure. It really, really, really, REALLY stung after the numbing drops wore off. I'm a weanie when it comes to pain, though. The pain went away after a few hours. I tried to sleep through it. There were about 2 weeks after of somewhat dry eyes. Every now and then I'll experience dry eyes, but I can't say that I know it is from the Lasik.

Worth every penny.
  • HRLaurie614
    HRLaurie614 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I had lasik in 2000...my eyes were really bad...contacts were -7. Eyes were great until about 2010...then started to weaken. Started wearing glasses to drive at night and then more and more for distance during the day.

Had PRK in Feb 2013 in my right eye. As it turns out, I had a cataract in my left eye. Had that corrected in May 2013 (age 44). So, basically, I now have the monovision thing going on. Took a while to get used to, but I don't need to wear glassing.

Between when I had the PRK in Feb and the Cataract, I had to wear reading glasses. Once I had the cataract taken care of, I didn't need the reading glasses.
  • jjlibunao
    Options
    Put it this way - I was getting so lazy about taking my contacts out at night (to clean and store) that I started sleeping with them. The first thing my Lasik doctor said to me (when he was doing his exam) was, "You sleep with your contacts on, don't you?" LOL I had Lasik done 10 years ago and it was one of the best cosmetic procedures I have done. I came out of the surgery with 20/15 vision. Unfortunately, I had the surgery before they offered the lifetime guarantee, and I'm due for a touch up because my vision is now 20/40. Trust me - it is the best!
  • michaelwestv
    Options
    Yes, I had Lasik surgery last year. I have been suffering from near sightedness for several years...I was just got boredom of wearing contact lenses. Now I am able to see 20/20.. After eye surgery I felt some irritation on my eyes. But within few hours I felt happy and comfort. Thanks Evergreen Eye Care.