How much to eat on rest days when bulking?

Options
I’m doing the 5x5 program 3 days a week. I eat 3000 cal on lifting days. How much should I be eating on rest days?

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Either the same or at maintenance. Personal preference depending on your goals, recovery, workout routine and current rate of gain.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I’m doing the 5x5 program 3 days a week. I eat 3000 cal on lifting days. How much should I be eating on rest days?

Are you following MFP and logging exercise and eating those back, or using a TDEE calculator?

If you are suing TDEE then you eat the same everyday regardless if you workout, as cals burned, is in a way, averaged out over the full week. If you follow MFP, then eat what MFP tells you to
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

Are you following MFP and logging exercise and eating those back, or using a TDEE calculator?

If you are suing TDEE then you eat the same everyday regardless if you workout, as cals burned, is in a way, averaged out over the full week. If you follow MFP, then eat what MFP tells you to

Yup. I do TDEE method and am eating 2700 regardless of it's a lifting day or not.
  • Strongerxthanxyesterday
    Options
    You can’t log strength training on mfp.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options
    You can log it under cardio add strength training to get an approximate calorie burn or you can log it under strength training to note your sets and reps.
    Options
    I’ve been using the Strong app to log my workouts. It’s free.
    Options
    And yes I have been following mfp for my food intake. Sticking more closely to numbers I got off bodybuilding.com for bulking tho.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options
    Okay...
    Options
    David...do u 5x5?
  • Davidsdottir
    Options
    1. Not a dude.
    2. I did 5x5 five years ago when I started lifting. Now I use Wendlers 5/3/1 for my primary lifts.
    3. If you're doing 5x5, there's literally an app specifically for that program.
    Options
    Haha, I know but didn’t know how to reference you.

The strong app is free and has a template for the 5x5 program that works great.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options
    Fair enough LOL

I feel ya, I use WorkIt to track my lifts in addition to the 5/3/1 app.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Haha, I know but didn’t know how to reference you.

The strong app is free and has a template for the 5x5 program that works great.

So you can just created a custom experience and enter the apps numbers into mfp.

Options
    I think I’m just gonna try tacking on another weight gainer shake after my workout, see what happens.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Whatever amount that helps your weight goal. Rest days don't require a different amount.