Modify insanity.

Options
I'd just like to say that if you're obese you can do Insanity. It's hard and will kick your butt. However, you can modify some of the moves. Some of the jumping exercises I just step out instead of jumping, I use the wall for pushups. This is my 3rd time doing Insanity I get great results and quit. The first time I did the workout I was 180lbs. I went down to 167 in the first round and was almost happy with my weight. I could finally do pushups. Well fast forward four years and I am much heavier than I was the first time. I started back 2 weeks ago at 204 lbs and I'm already down to 197. I am modifying and taking breaks when needed. Insanity is not about keeping up with the guys and gals on the video it's about digging as deep as you can without hurting yourself. Strength and endurance will come. I've done it before and going to do it again only this time I'm not going to stop.

Replies

• jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Btw female 35 and 5'4"
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ok...
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Programs can certainly be modified, but it's usually better to follow a program that matches your current abilities. Fat loss only requires a calorie deficit, not intense workouts. :+1:
  • jefamer2017
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Programs can certainly be modified, but it's usually better to follow a program that matches your current abilities. Fat loss only requires a calorie deficit, not intense workouts. :+1:
    Just letting people know you don't have to be scared and no it doesn't have to match your current ability. That's the point of modification.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Modifications can change the exercises in unintended ways. For example, wall pushups changes the emphasis from the chest to the shoulders. That could potentially overwork the shoulders, depending on the rest of the program. Good programs may seem like a random mix of exercises, but they're designed to be balanced according to sound science. So unless one has a good understanding of kinesiology, it's usually best to minimize the modifications. :+1:
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Modifications can change the exercises in unintended ways. For example, wall pushups changes the emphasis from the chest to the shoulders. That could potentially overwork the shoulders, depending on the rest of the program. Good programs may seem like a random mix of exercises, but they're designed to be balanced according to sound science. So unless one has a good understanding of kinesiology, it's usually best to minimize the modifications. :+1:

Fortunately Insanity isn't a good program, so there's no way of knowing whether or not modification will make it better or worse.
  • jefamer2017
    Options

Fortunately Insanity isn't a good program, so there's no way of knowing whether or not modification will make it better or worse.[/quote]

It's a great program.
  • jefamer2017
    Options
    Let me clear this up. Since you people are being a bit cocky and don't seem to understand. I am doing the same moves with the exception of an occasional wall push up. I just slow it down and step out instead of jump. Such as jump squats, I don't jump I just step out wide and do a squat. It's an excellent workout that sometimes needs to be slowed down. It's perfectly fine for the work out to be more than you can handle it only takes a couple of weeks to be able to perform.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I've never really understood the appeal of programs like this, but different strokes and all that. I'm glad you've found something you like and hope that you can make it a habit this time!
  • jefamer2017
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I've never really understood the appeal of programs like this, but different strokes and all that. I'm glad you've found something you like and hope that you can make it a habit this time!

It works. It improves strength and endurance and well as helps to lose fat. That's the appeal.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    IF you enjoy it, great. But it doesn't burn fat any faster than any other training program... and it burns much fewer calories than advertised.
  • jwcannon70
    jwcannon70 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just finished the 2nd week of the second month and I am impressed with the results. My improvement from when I first started to now is eye opening. Yes there are many other programs that work but I feel like I am REALLY working out when the sweat is pouring off me.

The OP is correct in saying anyone can do it. I think taking breaks for those who are not in shape (including me) is vital and it took me awhile to realize this. Do not discouraged if you cannot keep up (you won't be able to) with the people on the DVD as they are health fitness instructors or whatnot.