Help! I know nothing about weight lifting.

Options
I am 35 female and want to start lifting. I have dumbbells and a weight bench but they sit there most of the time. There is no gym in my town and I need a routine. I have looked for videos online but most are just quick videos with a few moves and no instructions. I'd like to find a video that I can follow along.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I am 35 female and want to start lifting. I have dumbbells and a weight bench but they sit there most of the time. There is no gym in my town and I need a routine. I have looked for videos online but most are just quick videos with a few moves and no instructions. I'd like to find a video that I can follow along.

There really aren't weight lifting videos other than short "how to" videos on YouTube...lifting isn't really conducive to following a video.

There are a lot of good programs in the link above.

My wife got a lot of benefit from New Rules of Lifting For Women...the program is pretty good, but the read is even better as it explains what you're doing and why you're doing it and it's just a really good introduction to weight training for someone who's never done it.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I'm using Strength Training Exercises For Women by Joan Pagano. It's worked well for me so far. The one drawback I've found is that most of her exercises top out at 12lb dumbbells maximum. But I've been carefully increasing that on my own as I feel able. (Just got a pair of 20s from my husband as a birthday present today :smiley: )
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    If you want to start with something free that will cover the basics of lifting in generally easy to understand language, I'd recommend reading through https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-ultimate-weight-training-workout-routine/ even if you ultimately don't choose to follow their beginners program. It covers a lot of the basics of how weight training works and what goes into an effective workout.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    The New Rules of Lifting For Women.

Book available on amazon (cheap)

I have the men's version and it's awesome.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

I actually have a copy of that on my to-read list because I've heard it referenced so highly here, but damn if that subtitle doesn't make me grit my teeth. Blech.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

I actually have a copy of that on my to-read list because I've heard it referenced so highly here, but damn if that subtitle doesn't make me grit my teeth. Blech.

The subtitle is all marketing! I wouldn't let that stop me of reading an otherwise highly recommend book. I don't think the word "goddess" appears anywhere in the book.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

The subtitle is all marketing! I wouldn't let that stop me of reading an otherwise highly recommend book. I don't think the word "goddess" appears anywhere in the book.

Oh, I'm still looking forward to reading it, I just can't help giving that title the side-eye. I'll probably get the Kindle edition anyhow, so I won't have to look at the cover. ;)