Lifting with injuries

Options
Okay I know the title sounds idiotic but most of us have been there! We lift and then somehow find ourselves with a nice tendon, joint, muscle tear, some type of injury, some mild and some pretty bad. I'd classify this current one has more mild. It appears that I have caused some irritation/inflammation to my R. Brachioradialis muscle (it's near your bicep but runs along the outside of your arm and into forearms too if I'm not mistaken. , I had it looked at by a friend who is a PA. For those who are familiar with this muscle can anyone suggest exerises I should avoid in order to let this heal and rest? I"d really like to maintain my upper body routines if possible while this heals. I'm probably going to give bicep curls a rest for sure, but any others you think? It hurts more when I bring my hands from floor to the ceiling (or pronation TO supination). Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Do things that don't hurt it and avoid things that do? That's the method I use. If it appears I'm limited to just push or pull or if I'm limited to vertical or horizontal I consider how much imbalance I may cause and let my body heal.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Do things that don't hurt it and avoid things that do? That's the method I use. If it appears I'm limited to just push or pull or if I'm limited to vertical or horizontal I consider how much imbalance I may cause and let my body heal.

I hear ya I mean that's the simple answer and while I don't want to injure myself more, I also don't want to stop my lifts, I'm actually progressing lately but of course I'm paying for it.
  • se015
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Dr. it hurts when I go like this, Dr replies, "well stop doing that." lol
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    What does your doctor and physical therapist recommend?

Work from there.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Acute injury = full rest/recover

No full rest/recovery = chronic and this is when it takes forever, if ever to heal 100%

Might want to see you doctor. Its better to rest/recover 2-3 weeks then be out of commission months.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    If it's tendinitis of the elbow (tennis or golfers) you can use straps for most of your pulls until it heals a bit. I get tendinitis on a rotating schedule. When it gets bad I use wraps and straps and avoid certain things like barbell curls and db lateral raises (which really really seem to make things worse quickly). After a few weeks of using the straps things seem to calm down. I also will use an open grip for pull-ups and pulldowns which disengages the lower arms somewhat and puts more emphasis on the back muscles.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    If it's tendinitis of the elbow (tennis or golfers) you can use straps for most of your pulls until it heals a bit. I get tendinitis on a rotating schedule. When it gets bad I use wraps and straps and avoid certain things like barbell curls and db lateral raises (which really really seem to make things worse quickly). After a few weeks of using the straps things seem to calm down. I also will use an open grip for pull-ups and pulldowns which disengages the lower arms somewhat and puts more emphasis on the back muscles.
    I'm not sure, but I believe you might be referring to a "pistol grip".
    Which is basically pointing your index finger like a gun. It removes most of the bicep from any pulling motion which is extremely effective work around.

• se015
    Options
    What does your doctor and physical therapist recommend?

I saw a PA at work and she told me that I should rest it.... lol
  • se015
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »

Thank you!! Somewhat more of the answer I was looking/hoping for
  • se015
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Here is something I wrote up on this very subject the other day where I'm specifically speaking of powerlifting but we could include general lifting in most cases.
    WHAT IS THE #1 MISTAKE LIFTERS MAKE WHILE INJURED?

I'm pulling a true mixed grip today. Wrist strap on right hand with hook grip left hand.
    Reasoning is I have a pretty nasty injury due to my joint disease and having problems even closing my right hand the last couple days. My left hand is suffering less so I want to continue training my grip strength before my next meet.
    Many lifters make the mistake of taking time off from heavy training because of injury. This causes detraining and unfortunately is often recommended by the physical therapists and doctors who don't understand the benefits of barbell strength training.
    The truth is most injuries can be worked around or through with common sense. In most cases one can train with a appropriate weight that might cause some pain/discomfort but you can hold good form. This actually will help with the healing process. You will recover much faster and less chance of scar tissue forming. It's no different than when someone is building muscle through a bulk. Cause stress to the muscle, recover enough to allow adaptation.

If we are talkin a full belly muscle tear in your case, I would refrain. If we are talking something along tendonitis, there are ways to train through tendinopathy.

A hard fast rule I do follow is...

1. If you can train with good form at a weight that the pain slowly dissipates over time, it's probably a good idea to continue to train.

2. If the pain gets worse, either stop entirely or seek out another way of training that isn't as abrasive.

I don't think it's a full muscle tear because I can lift it's just certain movements make the pain temporarily worse like hammer curls or if I were to do any dumbbell exercise which required bringing the DB's up that irritates it too if that makes any sense?
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    As a neuromuscular massage therapist I would advise not to do any movements that cause pain in the immediate area that you think is torn.

Healing can take between 3 and six weeks for what sounds like a minor tear for you.

You don't have to wait to treat your own brachial trigger points, do it right away...

https://www.nielasher.com/blogs/video-blog/trigger-point-therapy-treating-brachioradialis
  • se015
    Options
    As a neuromuscular massage therapist I would advise not to do any movements that cause pain in the immediate area that you think is torn.

Healing can take between 3 and six weeks for what sounds like a minor tear for you.

You don't have to wait to treat your own brachial trigger points, do it right away...

https://www.nielasher.com/blogs/video-blog/trigger-point-therapy-treating-brachioradialis

Ok I will avoid some exercises then. Thanks!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    Here is something I wrote up on this very subject the other day where I'm specifically speaking of powerlifting but we could include general lifting in most cases.

I'm pulling a true mixed grip today. Wrist strap on right hand with hook grip left hand.
    Reasoning is I have a pretty nasty injury due to my joint disease and having problems even closing my right hand the last couple days. My left hand is suffering less so I want to continue training my grip strength before my next meet.
    Many lifters make the mistake of taking time off from heavy training because of injury. This causes detraining and unfortunately is often recommended by the physical therapists and doctors who don't understand the benefits of barbell strength training.
    The truth is most injuries can be worked around or through with common sense. In most cases one can train with a appropriate weight that might cause some pain/discomfort but you can hold good form. This actually will help with the healing process. You will recover much faster and less chance of scar tissue forming. It's no different than when someone is building muscle through a bulk. Cause stress to the muscle, recover enough to allow adaptation.

If we are talkin a full belly muscle tear in your case, I would refrain. If we are talking something along tendonitis, there are ways to train through tendinopathy.

1. If you can train with good form at a weight that the pain slowly dissipates over time, it's probably a good idea to continue to train.

2. If the pain gets worse, either stop entirely or seek out another way of training that isn't as abrasive.

I don't think it's a full muscle tear because I can lift it's just certain movements make the pain temporarily worse like hammer curls or if I were to do any dumbbell exercise which required bringing the DB's up that irritates it too if that makes any sense?

Without examining you I can't be for certain but that sounds more like golfer's elbow. Pretty common for those do alot of dumbell curls and especially people middle age and up or people with autoimmune disease.

If you hold your palms straight out in front of you and the pain stems from the medial epicondyle(boney part of the inside of your elbow), this might be a sign you have golfer's elbow.

If so, doing pulls with the pistol grip only will help alot. I personally rather just refrain from curl all together because they don't fit my goal, but some people have success with lowering the weight slowly on the eccentric of the movement as this can lengthen the tendon. At the bottom you would have the other arm assist raising the weight back up.

Neoprene elbow sleeves can help with dealing with the pain greatly as they keep the joint warm. Just keep in mind it's not a fix, more of a bandaid to take some pain away.
  • se015
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »

Without examining you I can't be for certain but that sounds more like golfer's elbow. Pretty common for those do alot of dumbell curls and especially people middle age and up or people with autoimmune disease.

If you hold your palms straight out in front of you and the pain stems from the medial epicondyle(boney part of the inside of your elbow), this might be a sign you have golfer's elbow.

If so, doing pulls with the pistol grip only will help alot. I personally rather just refrain from curl all together because they don't fit my goal, but some people have success with lowering the weight slowly on the eccentric of the movement as this can lengthen the tendon. At the bottom you would have the other arm assist raising the weight back up.

Neoprene elbow sleeves can help with dealing with the pain greatly as they keep the joint warm. Just keep in mind it's not a fix, more of a bandaid to take some pain away.

Wow thank you so much!! So the test you told me to do, The pain only happens when I flex that arm (as if I'm flexing bicep) with it slightly bent at an angle and hand is facing me if that makes any sense?
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    @Seth1825

Hey, not sure you are still having issues but thought I'd mention Voodoo Flossing. It's something I've recently started doing as my last bout of tendinitis was quite severe (weighted pullups caused the flare). I'm frankly amazed at how much relief they bring and how quickly I'm healing. It's something you might want to check on - the bands are quite inexpensive. I was a doubter at first - no longer.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Avoid any exercises that irritate it.
  • se015
    Options
    hmmm