Crossfit Open?

Options
Is anyone on MFP competing in or planning to compete in the 2018 Crossfit Open? I know the first workout was announced yesterday. I am not, but I have started following the sport a little more closely over the past several months and am considering competing in 2019.

Replies

• cs4156
    cs4156 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Doing my 18.1 this evening Masters Scaled. Been doing CF for maybe 3 years - started slow but now I really like it. Still do my Running and Spinning so I am not 100% - but do it then compliment everything else.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    Options
    Crossfit, I used to do crossfit but I'm between cults right now.

That being said, CF is verrry big at our house.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    This is my 3rd open. I'll be tackling 18.1 tomorrow
  • Fitwithsci
    Fitwithsci Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Follow up question: What are the crossfit standards for the workouts done "for calories" I tried to find out and struck out. Do you set up the cardio machine to your individual weight? Most cardio equipment default to a weight of 150lbs. I weigh 230lbs, so I will burn the goal number of calories much quicker than the calorie count on a cardio machine set to the 150lb default. Is body weight accounted for in workouts done for calories?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Fitwithsci wrote: »
    Follow up question: What are the crossfit standards for the workouts done "for calories" I tried to find out and struck out. Do you set up the cardio machine to your individual weight? Most cardio equipment default to a weight of 150lbs. I weigh 230lbs, so I will burn the goal number of calories much quicker than the calorie count on a cardio machine set to the 150lb default. Is body weight accounted for in workouts done for calories?

There's no weight adjustment for calories. Using a concept 2, you just row until you hit the specified calories.
  • twistedingenue
    twistedingenue Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Fitwithsci wrote: »

when my gym did the workout for our Friday conditioning, to accommodate a dozen people doing it at a time, we rowed 150m instead. (those doing it for competition had the opportunity to do the unmodified version later)

Otherwise, we just got on our one concept 2 rower and rowed for calories, no adjusting needed.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I am doing it tonight, finally after waiting all weekend. Bad planning on my part and planned a social event away from my box. Hope everyone has enjoyed it so far! Can't wait to get 18.1 done, the first score on the board and see what Castro has in store next. Best 5 weeks of my CrossFit life is the Open. 3rd year of competing!
  • Fitwithsci
    Fitwithsci Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Good luck to all of you!
  • MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Done the first two so far...

18.1 - 237 Reps, Rx
    18.2 - 10:33, 185 lbs, Rx
  • Andy__Dane
    Andy__Dane Posts: 46 Member