Exercise - where to start?

Options
Sam29a
Sam29a Posts: 201 Member
I have lost some weight, have about another 10 lbs or so that I would like to lose but for the past 9 months or so, I haven't managed to lose anything, in fact, I have gained about 5 lbs instead. I usually aim for about 1300 calories per day, but as I'm not exercising at all, the weight is coming off very slowly. Every month or so I have a cheat day, which often leads to overall weight gain as I can put back 5000-6000 calories on those days!!

Obviously, this isn't working and I need something to actually get the pounds off, not gain more. So, I want to finally start incorporating exercise and stick to it long-term. But where do I start? I keep putting off joining the gym, did consider just going for a daily walk, but I worry that won't achieve much. Ideally, I would like to be able to eat more calories per day, so I don't feel the need to have any cheat days. Whilst losing the majority of my weight, I didn't have cheat days, but sticking to 1300 calories is becoming more difficult now.

So, for those that have lost weight through diet and exercise, where did you start? I usually aim too high, 5-6 days a week, 2-3 hours each time. Then inevitably I crash and burn after a month. What is a realistic plan for someone who isn't used to exercise, something that will give me results, but isn't too difficult to stick to?

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    What is it you like to do? Yoga, cycling, swimming, kick-boxing? Join a league for some sport? Lifting is often recommended, but you can do things like bodyweights at home. Could start at 3 days a week at an activity you're comfortable at and then build up to more. Also consider whether the 1300 calories is still reasonable.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    Initially, I lost a bunch of weight by managing my eating. Then I added a little weight lifting. Really, 3-times a week for about 45 minutes or less was all I did. That seems like a lot less of a commitment than what you've tried in the past, and you're thinking seems very solid on that -- working in small manageable steps is a good approach.
  • Sam29a
    Options
    What is it you like to do? Yoga, cycling, swimming, kick-boxing? Join a league for some sport? Lifting is often recommended, but you can do things like bodyweights at home. Could start at 3 days a week at an activity you're comfortable at and then build up to more. Also consider whether the 1300 calories is still reasonable.

Honestly, I don't like any exercise, I really wish I did, but I never have. Even walking is a chore in the cold, although I do like to go for a walk in better weather. I don't mind the gym, but I think usually I tend to over-do it and then give up quickly. If I was to do lifting or bodyweight exercises, that would be great for body composition, but I think I'd have to do that in addition to cardio if I was to increase my calories.

3 days a week seems okay, but would I see results fast enough? I guess it might be a case of trying it to see what works.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    If you stay in a consistent deficit, you will see results. Don't worry so much about 'fast', once you get to the last 20lbs or less it's going to come off slowly anyway. Standenvernet has a good approach in his comment. Follow an actual program will help you as well. Are you set at 0.5lbs/week?
  • Sam29a
    Options
    Initially, I lost a bunch of weight by managing my eating. Then I added a little weight lifting. Really, 3-times a week for about 45 minutes or less was all I did. That seems like a lot less of a commitment than what you've tried in the past, and you're thinking seems very solid on that -- working in small manageable steps is a good approach.

That seems like the logical thing to do. Will try 3 days, cardio 45 minutes and a little strength training, 30 minutes. I'm sure I could manage that.
  • Sam29a
    Options
    If you stay in a consistent deficit, you will see results. Don't worry so much about 'fast', once you get to the last 20lbs or less it's going to come off slowly anyway. Standenvernet has a good approach in his comment. Follow an actual program will help you as well. Are you set at 0.5lbs/week?

I would be happy to lose 0.5 lbs a week, but that rarely happens. I lose 1 lb, every 3 weeks or so on 1300 calories. MFP gives me 1220 calories, without exercise to lose 0.5 lbs. I increased it to 1300 as 1220 seems too low now.
  • BernaBeingHealthy
    Options
    I have some arthritis in my knee making certain exercises difficult, so my doctor recommended Leslie Sansone's walking programs. She has tons of videos on YouTube along with DVDs, and I do 3 to 4 of her 15 minute power walking workouts in my basement nearly every day. They are relatively low impact and enjoyable. I genuinely enjoy working out to her videos, and I definitely get a great cardio workout from them. I highly recommend checking them out for anyone who wants to begin exercising!
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great place to start and some weights. I started walking with about 2500 steps a day and now I am working on getting 15,000 to 20,000 a day. I never used to like it much but I kind of like it now and the dog is happier too I think.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Yeah, it's all gonna come down to what works for you, of course...

In my analytical world I started looking at exercises that were effective for the desired results. I looked at a lot of the 'cardio' classification stuff and saw that most of those created calorie burn-rates at or below 9-calories a minute (think of that like 25-minutes for an extra 200-calorie candy bar...) so, basically, if I could resist the candy bar, I got 25-minutes of sweating my life away back, and I could do something else.

I like the concept of swimming, especially in a cooler pool (like <85°F) for periods exceeding 45 minutes... well, I like it conceptually on paper. By the time I'd get to and into the pool for that kinda activity, I'd be looking at an investment of about an hour ... and that candy-bar exchange starts to look better, because I'd likely not be able to stick with that.

So... 40-minutes of "weight training" gets me something in the range of that 200-calorie candy bar, AND a better body shape that I can see and feel. I'm likely predispositioned to enjoy (OK, "tolerate" ) lifting a little bit more than some, and, of course, I'm talking from the reference of a several-hundred-plus-pound male, so my caloric burns are higher than lady and/or someone with less weight to carry.

Given that you're so close to where you'd like to be, sometimes just a little change in strategy can make enough of a difference to kinda "re-spark" you initial successes... Ultimately, it does come back to what you can (or will) tolerate.

Some threads that I've found VERY helpful (in the order that I read them):
    1. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach
    2. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you
    3. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

FWIW, The profile pic here is the result of the #3 thread -- and eating 500-more calories each day than I had been for the previous year... (Roughly the same weight in both pics) So, 40 minutes for 500 more calories WITH a positive palpable change