Peanut M&Ms

Options
2»

Replies

• Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Wow. I went to the movies the other night and in a weak moment, decided to get the "weigh your own" candy. Except that I don't pay attention to the weight. I had raisinettes, m&Ms, peanut m&ms and reeses pieces. I knew it was a lot and I logged it but now I'm thinking that I WAY under logged it. Oh well. Friday is over and now I know. Good for you trying to enjoy something in moderation!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Do they sell “fun size” packs of M&Ms where you are? Those might cost a bit more, but would also save you the time and money of buying and measuring out all those baggies. Fun size packs are about 90 calories each, though you can always put them on the scale if you want to be more accurate.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Nice idea. To save time next go around, weigh 3-4 bags, take the average number of M&Ms and just put that number in all the bags and call it a day instead of weighing 60 bags. Much faster and minimal impact on accuracy.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Volendral wrote: »
    bbell1985 - Thanks! That's the reason I put the weight down, it'll force me to put it on my diary entry (I put my food down before I eat it), so if I see my calorie count going up too much, I stop myself.

It's a great theory, but many of us have found that there are days when no amount of data prevents bad choices. I think you would have been better off buying a single serving and not keeping 42 oz in the house... we'll see. Maybe update in a few weeks? ;)
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    pogiguy05 wrote: »
    M&M's and did I hear chips as well? I am starting to think we might be seeing a pattern here. Cupboards filled with ziplock bags of junk foods. :p:p

Depends on your definition of "junk foods". OPs definition of M&Ms is clearly "treat in moderation". :)

OP, the problem I've found in the past with dividing a big bag of chips into smaller portions is that they don't keep well in the plastic bags. No matter how carefully I try to seal them, if they're left more than a day or two they start to get stale. So now if I have a big bag, I keep the chips in there and weigh out a single portion (or more usually a half-portion) into a bowl when I want it. It does mean that I can't just "grab and go", but it also means I think about whether I really want them right then if I have to go to the effort of getting a bowl and weighing them. :)
  • DebBahr
    DebBahr Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Good for you for finding a way to manage sweets.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I usually portion before eating but I've found that I've gotten surprisingly good at controlling myself around snacks since I've started losing weight. It's no longer an issue to be satisfied with only one or two pieces of something - which I never could have done in my prior life.

I usually buy chocolates in those mini snack sizes. At 50 calories per pop it usually only takes one to satisfy my sweet tooth. I've found that it's better for me to allow myself a small portion of something I really want then it is to try to deny myself something and to find a substitute. Invariably, the substitute won't satisfy and I'll end up eating what I really wanted in the first place anyway!
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Great idea. I need to do the same with some peanut M&Ms my mom left at my house over the weekend.

She doesn't like me losing weight, so she brought a bag of peanut M&Ms, coconut gooey bars, and pumpkin spice cookies. Sabotage much?! Only the M&Ms tempted me. Peanut is my favorite variety.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    The Costco size bag always begins with good intentions for me lol I'll let you guess how it ends!