Weight loss, lifting, and hypothyroidism

Options
I have searched the forums but I find the search feature to be somewhat limited so I'm starting a new thread. I hope it doesn't ruffle any feathers.

I'm 35, 68" tall, last measured on July 8:
185lbs
15" neck
44.5" bust
39" waist
43" hips
40.6 BF%
(I have stereotypical "apple" shape)

I used this to measure TDEE and subtracted 20% for daily calorie goal of 1781 with macros set to 40/30/30. This is generally pretty easy to achieve and I drink a lot of water.

On July 12, I started SL5x5 using dumbbells only and have progressed to this:
85# squats
55# OHP
70# chest press
65# lat pull downs (in place of BBR because those are just really awkward)
110# deadlifts

I generally warm up with five minutes of cardio or calisthenics and lifting the empty bar. After lifting, I walk for 20-30 minutes on the treadmill @3.5mph (I find that I'm less sore if I walk after). I only eat back calories from weightlifting, usually this is about TDEE-10%.

The hardest thing to exercise is patience. I know that fitness takes a lot of time, and even more time with a sluggish thyroid. I have Hashimoto's disease which is autoimmune and causes hypothyroidism. I do not currently have insurance, but I do have an awesome doctor who writes my scripts so I get my meds. I take .75mcg of synthroid daily. My blood hasn't been tested in about 3 years. At this point in my life, new blood work is not an option. I hope to get that resolved in the next few months, though.

It's difficult to find consistent and credible information on the web about Hashimoto's or hypothyroidism in terms of how to best achieve healthy weight loss. I did find some credible source (which I now cannot find) that suggested that grazing is less beneficial to those with hypothyroidism due to the sluggish metabolism, and another source that recommends avoiding raw cruciferous vegetables. Both of these things are easy for me to do since I do not like to graze and also do not like raw cruciferous vegetables!

My personal goal is fitness. I'd like to reduce my BF%, build muscle, and keep moving. Before I started lifting, I was doing almost exclusively cardio and came down 10lbs in 6 weeks, but not a pound since (I do not weigh more than 1x/month).

I suppose I'm hoping for someone to give me pointers that don't involve "go see a doctor" (that's just not in the budget right now), or kindly remind me to continue as is and be patient.

Thanks.

Replies