Gaining weight???

Options
Okay so for three weeks I’ve consistently done cardio, and strength training. And stayed within my calorie goal. SO WHY AM I GAINING WEIGHT?????

Replies

• saralynn0416
    saralynn0416 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Data points? No idea what that means, 3 weeks 4lbs
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I am increasing my water intake...so that could be it. I log every tiny snack I have and some days I don’t do well. I hope it’s just water weight

How do you determine how much to log? Are you weighing all solids and measuring all liquids? Are your database entries correct?
  • saralynn0416
    Options
    I measure liquids and stick to serving sizes on whatever I eat
  • saralynn0416
    Options
    Haha 3 weeks feels like an enternity at this point. Thank you all for the responses this is helpful! I lost 100lbs last time but now that I’m older it feels like my body is rejecting me!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

How do you know how much a serving actually is? Do you weigh all solids? There can be a large discrepancy between the suggested serving size (in number of pieces or cups) vs weight.
  • saralynn0416
    Options
    I do not have a food scale, if I did...how would I know the proper portion?
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    The label for your food will have a weight next to the serving size in grams. That's what you use when logging food with the food scale on MFP. If you want more or less of something than what's listed on the label, you can use the MFP database entries to do the math for you (although they aren't always right so you may have to create your own), do the math yourself, or refer to the USDA website food database for nutrition information. If you're eating something without a label, go to the USDA website and search for it and you'll see calories per serving size in grams and usually calories per 100 grams and you can work the math out from that. See the stickied threads for getting started for more info.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    I do not have a food scale, if I did...how would I know the proper portion?

The proper portion is however many calories you have decided to consume on a given meal. My dinners vary from 400cal to 600 cals (without the dessert). So if I eat cooked meals, I do the maths beforehand and then I fill my plate until it gets to around that many calories.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    Options
    pg7r1vgvp1bi.jpg
  • saralynn0416
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    How many weight ins (measurements) did you have over the three week period?

Did you weight yourself every day and your trend is showing 4lbs up or did you just weigh twice, the first time three weeks ago and the second time today?

While a "portion" is a neat idea when first starting out and coming from a place of not knowing what is reasonable, portions are often chosen for marketing as opposed to real life purposes.

Mark down everything you eat, preferably by weight.

Verify the entries you use against the USDA standard reference database and/or the packaging if applicable.

Aim to eat the calories MFP suggests.

Review your logs and evaluate whether the items you ate were worth the calories you spent on them and slowly modify your habits such that more often than not they ARE worth it to you!

Weigh yourself and enter your weight in a trending weight app or web site.

Evaluate your progress after 4 to 6 weeks and make adjustments if you need to.

Thank you!! I’m off to buy a food scale tomorrow. I was weighing myself weekly, but now I think I’ll go off actual measurements than jumping on the scale constantly.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I am increasing my water intake...so that could be it. I log every tiny snack I have and some days I don’t do well. I hope it’s just water weight

Drinking more water doesn't cause water weight...exercise, especially if it's new causes water retention as it's necessary to repair damaged tissue...sodium can also cause water retention or more or less carbs...beyond that, you're body is comprised of 50-65% water and, well...it just fluctuates all on it's own. You're also always going to have more or less inherent waste in your system.

All of that shows up on a scale...your body weight naturally fluctuates up and down...body weight isn't static and weight loss isn't linear...it looks like this:

D77-Graph.png

1070009_469732009783956_1925507747_n.jpg

Love this graph.......other than the fact that it shows you can go backward in time....now, that would help us solve a lot of things (supposedly) right?

That said, the point is 100% valid. Not linear. Whether you are trying lose, trying to gain, or trying to maintain. Too many variables.
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options

You need to weigh all of your food. If the box says 1 cup (56g) then weigh out 56g - don't measure out 1 cup.