Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What will happen with my weight loss if I get extra sodium in my diet?

I seem to be having a hard time in planning my diet. I have extra calories every day but my daily sodium allowance is always higher than it is suppose to be. What should I do and how will the extra sodium effect my weight loss?

Replies

• 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    I seem to be having a hard time in planning my diet. I have extra calories every day but my daily sodium allowance is always higher than it is suppose to be. What should I do and how will the extra sodium effect my weight loss?

Avoiding processed foods that have a lot of sodium in them. Same with fast foods. Fruits and veggies to round out your meals. Google "Dash Diet" and "high sodium foods". Drink adequate water to keep hydrated. Just my tips.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    You will retain a bunch of water which will skew numbers on the scale. Drink lots of water when you have high sodium days.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,293 Member
    It doesn't really affect fat loss, it just can cause more water to be in your system at any given time.

I'm with 1houndgal, try to eat mostly home-prepared meals and take a look at your sodium/salt numbers at the end of each day with an eye to staying around your goal. It just takes some time to sort it out. If you don't have health problems, it's really not a big deal to go over sodium/salt. I do all the time, especially if I've been exercising and/or drinking a lot of water.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,241 Member
    It will affect negatively your weight loss. But it will have no effect on your fat loss which is the one that matters.
    If you have no health problems which specifically ask for low salt diet, you shouldn't do anything about it. Enjoy your well seasoned meals!
    My health issues for example call for a very high salt diet and thankfully I love salty food.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,027 Member
    Look back through your food diary and see where your big sodium numbers are coming from. Adjust accordingly.
  • janisseshirley
    janisseshirley Posts: 50 Member
    Thanks everyone. The only thing so far that I have eaten that is processed is sliced turkey. I make all my meals from scratch and eat mainly fresh fruits and vegetables and lean meats. I am only over by a few points so that is why I am asking.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited February 2018
    There are foods that are naturally high in sodium. Don't worry about it unless you have hypertension or other medical issues.

If you want, you can always reduce how much salt you add in your dishes. Half a teaspoon instead of a full one. Make sure you substitute with other seasonings and herbs to make them flavorful. Have fun with experimenting.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    I think you'll see more of a difference on the scale if your sodium levels jump around. If your consistently a bit over or under, I don't think you'll notice.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited February 2018
    Sodium has nothing to do with weight (fat) loss or weight management in general. Sodium is an essential mineral which you can over or under consume which is why some people track it. Someone with hypertension for example will want to keep sodium lower than someone who doesn't have that issue. Excessive sodium can cause water retention which will show up on the scale, but that's not fat...it's water.

Not every little thing is about weight loss or weight management...a lot of this is simply about nutrition.