looking for type 2 diabetics

Options
2»

Replies

• wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I'm not a diabetic myself, but I've read a lot about how some diabetics feel better, and some don't have to take as much medication , with a low carb, high fat diet.
    Basically it's it's no sugar, fruit, root vegetables or grains. Everything else is fine.
    But like, it's only something I've read, I have no personal experience... So, if you're interested, do your own research before trying it.

I myself can tolerate brown rice and potatoes quite well. Apples are about the only fruit I can eat safely. Everyone is different and each person should find what foods spike their BG. Experimentation is key.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    The Admerican Diabetes Association has come good recipes and diet plans. There are several excellent sites for diabetics. What works for one person doesn't work for all even in Diabetes. For instance I would tell you that you don't have to give up white flour and and sugar, but you do neet to warch your carbs and account for all. My current Dr.is a no white flour/sugar kind of guy. Read everything you can find and listen to your Dr. or find one you can work with. I think it is better homes and gardens that has a cookbook based on carb amounts for meals that can help you plan your diet. Also you can sign up for diabetic gourmet that will send you a recipe book. Best of luck and add me if you like.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    ...let's not forget regular exercise is equally important.
    Agreed. I think exercise is often overlooked with regards to blood glucose control. A regular exercise routine can help with not only blood glucose, but also improve blood pressure and cholesterol levels.

Diet and exercise.
  • anawhatsme
    anawhatsme Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    thanks so much all of you!
    what great advice and tips you have given me.

i wish i had a good doctor that could help me deal with this.
    i also wish i had coverage to get the test strips - they are expensive.

it looks like i can't effectively do this without the readings.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options

i also wish i had coverage to get the test strips - they are expensive.

it looks like i can't effectively do this without the readings.

Walmart's ReliOn meter and strips are quite inexpensive - often cheaper than what your insurance co-pay would be for a brand-name. The amount of information you get from eating to your meter is really invaluable!
  • YellowNightingale
    YellowNightingale Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I love the food blog called Kaylin's Kitchen. It is a South Beach recipe but you can find some really great low-carb meals on there. Personally, I would stay away from even the whole-grain bread, brown rice and steel cut oats. They are suppose to be better for you but I would definitely eat them in moderation.