Savory Oatmeal Recipe

Options
mfpfreedomnow
mfpfreedomnow Posts: 52 Member
Add 1 cup of Quaker's quick one-minute oats to Anchor's 16 oz measuring cup (that's what I prefer to use but you can use what works for you). Then add enough water to just sit over it. To that, add half a tablespoon of salted butter. Then stir it and microwave it for 5 minutes. Once cooked, take it out of the microwave and add 4 extra large eggs (or 6 medium eggs). Stir lightly and put it back into the microwave for another 2 minutes. If you like your eggs slightly undercooked, you might want to put a little less or more time.

Enjoy!

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Add some spinach, mushrooms and chives to that and you're on the right track. :)
    Better with steel cut oats, IMHO.
  • mfpfreedomnow
    Options
    Add some spinach, mushrooms and chives to that and you're on the right track. :)

:) Yum!
  • everybodylovessarah
    Options
    i used to love eating oatmeal with salt and pepper. i think it's filling, i may go back on that
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options

This is exactly how I make it, and I add a fried egg (runny yolk) on top. Had this for lunch yesterday. Tasty and kept me full for hours! The OPs version sounds bland to me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    In our house we think of it like rice. Whatever you'd do with rice, do with steel cut oats.
  • mfpfreedomnow
    Options

This is exactly how I make it, and I add a fried egg (runny yolk) on top. Had this for lunch yesterday. Tasty and kept me full for hours! The OPs version sounds bland to me.

This recipe is for when you need something fast and indeed bland. The latter is a compromise. I still love the taste as it is!
  • yoliyoda
    yoliyoda Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Black beans and sauteed red bell peppers, and a handful of spinach.