Switching from smoking to vaping nicotine.

I think I posted on the wrong forum earlier.
Just switched from smoking to vaping with a high powered mod sub ohm 6-12mg. Has anyone else switched from smoking to vaping nicotine and gained weight? I have heard that nicotine increases metabolism. I am just wondering if where you get it from matters. A cigarette vs a vape. Thanks!

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I've been vaping for 2-3 years, and there was no weight gain when i switched from cigs.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    I quit a couple of months ago. Nicotine is nicotine, source doesn't matter as long as you can make the physical adjustment (why a lot of people struggle with the patch or the gum).

That said, this works both ways. You will remain addicted to nicotine while vaping and this could increase your chances of relapsing back to cigarettes, especially if you tend to hang out with other smokers.

I've actually heard horror stories that vaping is actually much harder to quit than cigarettes. I don't have experience with it, but there are people out there who say that if they knew how hard vaping was to quit, they would have preferred just going cold turkey from cigarettes to begin with. That said, the benefits of quitting the harmful effects of smoke are pretty clear so you're still doing yourself good by avoiding cigarettes.

Congratulations on the first step and best of luck to you.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    The_Ta wrote: »

Nicotine doesn’t increase your metabolism, but the desire to eat may be lessened due to an elevated heart rate.

Just like caffeine, it is a stimulant and increases metabolism AND reduces appetite.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Thanks for all the info and support. I hope to be able to return the love to y'all.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    I quit on Chantix. Be careful with vaping. My friend ended up getting liquid in his lungs.
  • Christine_72
    aeloine wrote: »
    I'll be honest, I was getting more nicotine from vaping than I EVER got from cigarettes because you can vape continuously, indoors, in your car, outside.....

So very true! I vape a hell of a lot more than i ever smoked. My husband won't even go to the toilet without his.

With smoking, you go outside and have one then come back in and carry on as usual. With vaping, that frickan contraption is glued to my hand all day. I've started leaving it at home when i go to the shops or walking my dog, only small outings though, like less than a couple of hours lol

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,587 Member
    I'll be honest, I was getting more nicotine from vaping than I EVER got from cigarettes because you can vape continuously, indoors, in your car, outside.....
    So very true! I vape a hell of a lot more than i ever smoked. My husband won't even go to the toilet without his.
    With smoking, you go outside and have one then come back in and carry on as usual. With vaping, that frickan contraption is glued to my hand all day. I've started leaving it at home when i go to the shops or walking my dog, only small outings though, like less than a couple of hours lol
    Your description of people vaping more often corresponds with my own observations Christine. But, i am also curious since I often don't see people doing this... have you tried slowly lowering your vaping nicotine content in an attempt to get rid of the nicotine component of the habit?
  • Christine_72
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Your description of people vaping more often corresponds with my own observations Christine. But, i am also curious since I often don't see people doing this... have you tried slowly lowering your vaping nicotine content in an attempt to get rid of the nicotine component of the habit?

Yes, we have tried reducing quite a few times, but always end up going back up as it's just like puffing on air and makes us vape even more looking for that throat hit. A couple of months ago we decided not to reorder nicotine, and let me tell you that was the worst week ever. My husband and I were constantly bickering the whole time.. It was a worrying experience and puts me off of trying again. It really sh*ts me that this stuff has such a strong hold over me :rage:
    FTR we add 2ml of nicotine to 30ml of juice. I don't know if that's a lot or not compared to what others use??
  • DX2JX2
    edited February 2018
    Yes, we have tried reducing quite a few times, but always end up going back up as it's just like puffing on air and makes us vape even more looking for that throat hit. A couple of months ago we decided not to reorder nicotine, and let me tell you that was the worst week ever. My husband and I were constantly bickering the whole time.. It was a worrying experience and puts me off of trying again. It really sh*ts me that this stuff has such a strong hold over me :rage:
    FTR we add 2ml of nicotine to 30ml of juice. I don't know if that's a lot or not compared to what others use??

What is it they say? That nicotine is more addictive than heroin? It's absolutely true.

It pisses me off that companies have been allowed for so long to get people addicted to this stuff and to sell it in a form that will actually kill them. I used that anger as motivation when I was struggling to quit cold turkey. I kept saying to myself 'screw the tobacco companies and nicotine. they will not beat me' during my worst cravings and it actually worked.
  • DX2JX2
    Johnd2000 wrote: »
    There’s a lot of woo here. Nicotine is no more harmful than caffeine. It was always the smoke that caused the harm, not the nicotine.

Vaping isn’t just a bit safer than smoking. It’s at least 95% safer. If you smoke, switching is a no-brainer.

Choice between continuing to smoke or switching to vaping? Vaping no question though it's possible that vaping will actually lead to a stronger nicotine addiction and potentially ease the way back to smoking down the road.

Choice between quitting cold turkey vs. switching to vaping? I'm not sure the answer is so certain. I've heard way too much anecdotal information that quitting vaping is actually harder than quitting cigarettes and my personal experience has taught me that staying addicted to nicotine makes getting back on cigarettes really really easy. Cold turkey is the only thing that worked for me.