Options
2»

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    goatg wrote: »
    Honestly, I never understood why 45 min spin classes make you stand up. But you can achieve some pretty high effort levels that you might not achieve seated (even if it's just the average for a "long," 6-12minute, climb*)

The two main reasons I have students stand up is
    1) saddle relief, those seats can take a toll
    2) increase heart rate, our heart rate will increase with increased effort & standing raises it quite rapidly in most.

Why the emphasis on increasing heart rate as opposed to power (watts)? Which is to say, if they can achieve the target amount of watts while seated then what's the point in standing in your second point?
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    Honestly, I never understood why 45 min spin classes make you stand up. But you can achieve some pretty high effort levels that you might not achieve seated (even if it's just the average for a "long," 6-12minute, climb*)

2) increase heart rate, our heart rate will increase with increased effort & standing raises it quite rapidly in most.

Why the emphasis on increasing heart rate as opposed to power (watts)? Which is to say, if they can achieve the target amount of watts while seated then what's the point in standing in your second point?

Because we're trying to lose fat. Idk, isn't it all just means to the same end?
  • aokoye
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »

You lose fat through a calorie deficit - I know you know this. If you're putting out the same amount of watts seated as you are standing then you're creating the same calorie deficit. So yes, it is potentially a means to the same end (assuming people are putting out an equal number of watts). That's why I asked about the second point to begin with.

Shifting your weight in various ways to improve comfort is logical enough, but the effort thing, less so if there's a prescribed number of watts you want someone at and they can get there seated or standing.
  • aeloine
    edited February 2018
    Options

You lose fat through a calorie deficit - I know you know this. If you're putting out the same amount of watts seated as you are standing then you're creating the same calorie deficit. So yes, it is potentially a means to the same end (assuming people are putting out an equal number of watts). That's why I asked about the second point to begin with.

Shifting your weight in various ways to improve comfort is logical enough, but the effort thing, less so if there's a prescribed number of watts you want someone at and they can get there seated or standing.

Let me rephrase.
    An increased heart rate means you're putting in more effort, ergo burning more wattage. You can focus on one or the other but isn't the end result the same?

I just started spinning and I couldn't give a hoot about wattage but I know that if I get my heart rate up high enough for long enough, I get pizza after class.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I almost always hit my highest power output while seated. Almost never while standing. That's based on riding 3 to 5 thousand miles per year, with a pedals-based power meter.

Like anyone else, I can put a lot more torque into the pedals from a standing position, but my cadence falls more than enough to compensate. Peak power is usually achieved seated and spinning at very high cadence.
  • aokoye
    Options

Let me rephrase.
    An increased heart rate means you're putting in more effort, ergo burning more wattage. You can focus on one or the other but isn't the end result the same?

I just started spinning and I couldn't give a hoot about wattage but I know that if I get my heart rate up high enough for long enough, I get pizza after class.

Except even that's not always true. If I look at a workout I did earlier this month, my average heart rate was higher multiple times at 243 watts than it was at 220 watts. Never mind the general upward trend of the last interval of that workout despite it being the exact same as the previous four.

My point is, HR is not as reliable in cycling as watts. If you're able to know how many watts you're cycling at (which with a spin bike I'd assume you're able to but that would depend on the bike I suppose) then why aim for a HR percentage?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options

Let me rephrase.

When you go to the gym do you use your heart rate or the numbers on the plates to know what to put on the bar?
  • aeloine
    edited February 2018
    Options
    All right, all right, I obviously don't know what I'm talking about.

Like I said, the extent of my knowledge about it is that spin = pizza.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I spin three times a week, for about an hour each time, and have been doing so for 7 years now. Standing is lovely but it's not a must.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options

I will say, for the same number of watts seated vs. standing, the perceived level of exertion is definitely lower standing (although seated is more sustainable).
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Regardless of calorie burn or watts, standing versus sitting in spinning class is as much about entertainment (for me anyway) as anything else. People are more likely to stick with a class if they actually find it fun.