Diet vs. exercise

Options
1235»

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I think we are all arguing semantics at this point. I think it's just easier to control your diet than it is to burn 500 calories through exercise. I can just skip breakfast and my deficit for the day is done vs running a 5K every single day. Neither is better, one is just more conveniently controlled by the individual. Both are great ideally (which is what I do)

I think it's easier to exercise to burn , create a deficit of, 500 calories than cut back 500 calories!

It takes a lot of work to burn 500 calories.

Not really.

I routinely burn 574-580 cals in 48-50 mins of rowing 10k meters in 4 sets of 2500 meters (with 5 min breaks in between sets) at a moderate rate of 27-28 spm and 680-750 cals/hr.

This actually quite easy for me to do. and, while slightly tiring, is not exhausting in any way. And, I can do it anytime, 24/7 in the convenience of my home. I sometimes even do 2 sessions of 10k meters in the AM and PM and can still do 1 hr of lifting in my garage on top of that.

Burning the extra cals allows me to eat more food but still maintain my maintenance level of 1650 net cals/day.

The cal burn logged is accurate because I've maintained and actually lost some weight since I started rowing 10k meters daily beginning in Nov 2017.

If the weight loss persists, I'll either have to cut back on the rowing or increase the eating by 100-200 cals/day. Right now, I'm leaning towards the latter. ;)

LOL!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    If the goal is to lose weight. Exercise is a weapon you can use to burn mistake calories eaten or to rev up your metabolism, and tone your body so it looks better.
    Exercise is like getting your car tricked out and waxed. Your diet is the car. .
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    If you never eat it, you don't have to lose it. But if you eat it, your body processes it and then you have to lose it, which is more effort.

I also like the car analogy by @elisa123gal