Kefir

Options
Anyone tried Kefir? Its 90 calories for a cup. I put it in my smoothie. They also have flavored varieties. But probably with more sugar. I like the Wallaby brand.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'm actually going to buy a litre in exactly one week - I only eat it with "sukkerkavringer" (oven dried buns), and that's hard to fit into my meal plan. I grew up on that stuff - delicious!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    It's good with fresh fruit and cereal. You can buy kefir starter "seeds" on Amazon - I keep meaning to try making my own.
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I've been making my own this past month or so and it's easy as...

Buy grains online, add to milk, put in glass jar and 24 hours later you have kefir.

I did find the milk version was just too sour for my taste though. The shop bought much less so but not sure what they may have added/changed to make it have shelf-life and more taste appeal. Anyhow, now making water kefir which is also very easy and tried flavouring with ginger, vanilla (cream soda!) and lemon and enjoyed all of them.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It's like yogurt, but with a different culture. Very tasty. Sadly they don't sell it anywhere near me, so I only have it when we my mom brings live culture from Russia and we make it at home.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I like the Lifeway brand kefir, usually strawberry but have also done strawberry banana, raspberry, and pomegranate. It takes some getting used to but it is really good for you.
  • Orvillitron
    Orvillitron Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Kefir is super easy to make. If it is too sour, dilute with a bit of milk or plain yogurt. Unlike yogurt, you do need to obtain a culture (grains) from someone. You can't just grow it from the liquid part. I eat mine with fresh berries, half a banana, flax seed and a bit of peanut butter stirred into it.

Mmmmm. Very good for digestion.