Antihistamines

Options
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone had experienced any weight gain whilst on antihistamines. I am currently at a good weight but my doctor has advised I go on a 10mg dose of antihistamines but I am worried about the possible side effects of increased appetite has anyone experienced this???? Any advice or anyone's experience would be appreciated!!!!!

Replies

• Tophers_Motivation
    Options
    I didn't notice, that, but I did notice there's a lot of carbs in certain Vitamin C gummies.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Well, if you have allergies you need to have some relief.

Generally an allergic reaction is going to trigger the immune system which causes inflammation - which shows up on the scale as water weight.

I would think controlling that inflammation would allow the body to release that water.

On the other hand, some allergy meds make people slower and more lethargic, which could lead to more desire for food.

If you are logging food, staying in calories you'll lose. The meds don't cause actual weight gain unless you eat too much.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I take antihistamines Spring through Fall for seasonal allergies that can otherwise be pretty miserable...I've never experienced weight gain or increased appetite with them...I've never really even heard of that as a side effect.
  • anastasiah3456
    anastasiah3456 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses. Its good to know people haven't experienced this! However its so confusing at what to believe. There is so much contradicting information online!!!!