The Journey

Options
octobernightfall
octobernightfall Posts: 29 Member
edited February 2018 in Introduce Yourself
Hi there!

I'm not new to MFP. However,I thought I would re-introduce myself! My name is Diana. I am 25 years old. A few years ago I got down to my goal weight and I was really strict with my diet. At 20 years old, my body was able to lose 40lbs in 4 months! Unfortunately my 25 year old body can no longer do that! lol My lifestyle and mindset are not at the same capacity as they used to be.

At 20, my mindset was set on finally losing the weight I continuously struggled with. As a kid, and adolescent, I always struggled with body image issues. I was a chubby kid who loved junk food. Simple as that! I never felt beautiful in my own skin. I was always known as the shy, smart kid in class. Although there is definitely nothing wrong with that, I always wanted more for myself. I wanted to be great and feel great! So at the age of 20, I was set on finally changing the one thing I wasn't happy with. Goal: Lose 40 lbs. I had no idea what I was doing, but I found MFP and it helped me stay on track. I was able to lose the weight by simply restricting my diet and doing low-fat, low carb, low-cal foods, at 1200 cals per day. If you check back to 2013 my diet was a lot of the same foods rotated within the week! I did not exercise and simply made myself lean through diet. When I did lose all the weight, I rejoiced for almost a year of maintaining a weight I was happy with! Fast forward to 2014, months later, when I started to have a bit more leniency with my diet and I allowed myself a higher calorie intake ( sneaking in alot of not so healthy food choices). I ended up eating anything I would crave and I gained all of the weight back. Fast forward to mid 2016 when it had been 2 years of eating anything I pleased. Not a great point. I was unhappy with my body, unhealthy and unattractive to myself.

It was 2016 that I tried to make healthier choices, but I wasn't motivated. I would try losing all this weight and I was yo-yo-ing all over the place. I would make healthier choices, but I was still very unmotivated and very frustrated and ended up just giving in to my cravings once again. It's frustrating when you think you are trying and you end up seeing no results. I now know this process isn't an easy one, but at the time I thought I was this 20 year old who was able to relive the same process.

The reality of it is, I'm not 20 anymore, and my body is continuously going through changes as I age. I want to be happy and satisfied with the way I am nourishing my body. It's been since late 2017, that I have re-entered into this journey. My goal now is to be a healthy, happy, me. I want to feel good in my own skin again, and I want to see what my significant other see's in the mirror. I want to do it the healthy and realistic way. Diet and exercise. Thus far, (early 2018), I have lost 22 lbs (woo!), but it's taken me many trial and error modifications to see what works best. I now have the motivation not only in myself but in my amazing partner who reminds me how well I am doing and how proud he is of me. He's on this journey too! He's lost a bit more than me, and we're working towards continuing to better ourselves together. We both enjoy cooking (and let's be honest, eating!) but we realize that we have to fill our lifestyle with mostly fresh and healthy food choices, regular cardio and strength training, and sneak in some guilty pleasures every once in a while. I'll be honest, it's still hard someday's. I'm constantly tempted with those free food goodies at the office, the endless snacking with friends and the celebrations upon celebrations that occur what seems every single month. It can be hard, but at the end of the day I know where I aim to be. The journey is no where near over, so I am continuing to pursue the journey that will lead me where I want to be.

- Diana