Motivation to lose again

Options
After almost 2 years in maintenance, it’s been a rough winter for me and I’m up about 6-7 lbs out of my maintenance range. It’s hard to be motivated to enter into weight loss mode again after so long in maintenance! Plus all my clothes still fit (but barely) so that also makes it harder to have motivation. But it’s a slippery slope and I could easily just keep on gaining.

Fortunately I never stopped working out and weight lifting regularly and I would say I’m still making good choices with my meals and portion control there. It’s the handfuls of m&ms throughout the day and snacking that is really contributing to the weight gain. Plus an overall laziness that has been present for me this winter.

I started logging again today and updated my weight on mfp. How have others found motivation to lose after long periods of maintenance?

Replies

• victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Nice catch @victoria_1024.

You know how to do it, (little more daily movement, a little less snacking) and you will.

I book a holiday in the sun for March. That keeps me determined to keep my fitness level up and my calorie intake at an apropriate level.
    My natural inclination would be to put on the winter 5 that I use to- piles of books and hearty stews.

Cheers, h.

You’re right, I do know how to do it. I keep going back to that thought. I like the idea of motivation. I have a trip to Disney planned, not until next fall so it’s a ways away but if I kept gaining weight I would need to buy all new clothes! No way do I want to do that. I’ve been stockpiling size small shirts to design for that trip and I can’t afford to buy more. :)
  • victoria_1024
    Options
    Nice catch @victoria_1024.

You know how to do it, (little more daily movement, a little less snacking) and you will.

I book a holiday in the sun for March. That keeps me determined to keep my fitness level up and my calorie intake at an apropriate level.
    My natural inclination would be to put on the winter 5 that I use to- piles of books and hearty stews.

Cheers, h.

I realized I have another reason for keeping my fitness up and weight down - I take 2 hours of dance class every Saturday, and in May I have a recital! Tight fitting costumes and tights, already paid for so they have to fit. :)
    mitch16 wrote: »
    I'm in the same place, though I've gained back a few more pounds than you after a knee injury--but my ski pants are getting a little snug and I refuse to go a size up, so here I am! Well--I never really left, but I'm getting serious about tracking and not feeling entitled again.

Good luck to you!

Good luck to you as well!! I feel the same way... never fully left, but just was getting pretty lazy about the whole thing. Time to step up our game!
    Motivation comes and goes for all of us. A few years ago saw me creeping above my higher goal range number by 3 or 4lbs. I didn't want to change things or admit weight creep was happening but after a few months of it still creeping up I had to get back to eating at calorie deficit. For me it just meant cutting out one snack a day and that usually was a bar of chocolate. (Yes a bar extra per day than I was already allowing myself!). Once I got my head in gear and got used to doing without that snack the weight fell off and stayed off for good - because I never did get back into that habit of allowing myself that one extra snack.

Totally makes sense. It's funny how hard it feels just to think about cutting out a few handfuls of m&ms every day! But then once you do it, you realize it's not that hard.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Feeling good after 2 days of eating in a deficit! I easily was able to stick to 1500 calories both days and didn't miss all the treats as much as I thought I would. :) I also increased my activity level, even though Monday and Tuesday are busy work days for me so I'm sitting around a lot. But I got my Garmin back on and just tried to be more mindful and even got a good work-out in today.

Also I love how the scale drops so quickly when you start eating at a deficit, lol. Yay water weight! I wish I could keep losing like that!

That's great, a couple more days and it will feel even easier. WTG :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Exact same boat here. I've been trying for a year to find the motivation to lose the 15 lbs I've gained back in the last 2 years! Same as you, just a few too many treats... which are very hard to cut because I just really don't want it enough right now... Just a lot of self talk about 'do I really want it that much'...

Right now I've been back to the 'do awesome during the week, mess it up on week ends' cycle. My excuse was that it was my kids' birthday this week end and we had friends over. I'm too hungry overall to keep a deficit much bigger than 250 a day so it's very easy to undo unfortunately. I do also have a Disney trip planned in the Fall but would really like to lose at least a couple lbs of fat before Summer. Ugh. But I really don't like how tight my clothes are getting!

So.. you're not alone. I'm hoping with the time change in 2 weeks I can go back to my after dinner walk instead of just spending it watching TV on the bed...

I think if you're happy enough with your weight then you wont feel the need to try harder. Maybe the weight you currently are is easier to maintain.
    But you're right with longer days and better weather just around the corner that will help motivate.
  • victoria_1024
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    If you did it b4, you can do it again.

Sounds like you already have all the motivation you need. You know that you gained wt and your clothes don't fit well.

All you have to do is resume logging all your food (as you already have) and control your diet by not eating those M&M's and other snacks.

If you drop just 250 cals/day below maintenance, you should lose about 1/2# per week and be back on track w/in 12 weeks.

If you want to be more aggressive, drop 500 cals/day for a 1#/wk loss and be done in 6 wks instead.

Good luck!

Thank you! It's funny how just posting here helped me feel more accountable and pushed me over the edge to take some action.
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Exact same boat here. I've been trying for a year to find the motivation to lose the 15 lbs I've gained back in the last 2 years! Same as you, just a few too many treats... which are very hard to cut because I just really don't want it enough right now... Just a lot of self talk about 'do I really want it that much'...

Right now I've been back to the 'do awesome during the week, mess it up on week ends' cycle. My excuse was that it was my kids' birthday this week end and we had friends over. I'm too hungry overall to keep a deficit much bigger than 250 a day so it's very easy to undo unfortunately. I do also have a Disney trip planned in the Fall but would really like to lose at least a couple lbs of fat before Summer. Ugh. But I really don't like how tight my clothes are getting!

So.. you're not alone. I'm hoping with the time change in 2 weeks I can go back to my after dinner walk instead of just spending it watching TV on the bed...

I can totally understand the "do I really want it that much" mentality. I know as I was slowly gaining, I just kept thinking "but my clothes still fit, and I like eating more so it's fine". But the weight gain was finally enough that I needed to do something. I agree that it's so much easier to be active in the spring when the weather changes.
    swim777 wrote: »
    With me..I gained about 12 and I just couldn’t stick with it. At the moment I am losing..increased activity half a mile and logging carefully. Most of all, not letting myself get too hungry. My thought is even 5 off is good..better. Hoping that mentality will keep me going. I have to do this.

Awesome! 12 lbs isn't that much, just take it pound by pound and you'll get there.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I put this up, to hopefully make you laugh.
    https://youtu.be/6ldAQ6Rh5ZI
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    I think all maintenance is is a series of ups and downs but on a smaller scale. You are 6-7 on top of your range. I am 2 over my limit. I have only been maintaining for 5 months - this is month 6 but it strikes me that my type of yo yo personality will never have just a stable weight. If someone had told me when I was 15 that dieting did this to you I would never ever have started down that road. ever. I hope women teach their daughters better than my Mom did for me. Just some thoughts. Glad you are getting the motivation to start dropping again here! me too. :)
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    LOL!!! Stuart Smalley! Made me laugh! You'll figure this out - look where you've come from! I'm at the same place..fall/winter vacations and the holidays took their toll. Tighten up with the logging... Stay away from those evil little M & M's :D (I love em, too!) It'll happen before you know it!
  • jlindros
    jlindros Posts: 10 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Seems to me that maintenance is just more of the same...being accountable. I think if we were all able to eat whatever we want, we wouldn't be here! It's amazing how tracking all you eat seems like such a chore, but once you get a day or two under your belt, it really is so easy to eat well. I get motivation from that - being accountable and seeing my streak days add up. Also, I chart my weight daily and it motivates me to see that graph going down!

Looks like you are back at it! Good for you catching it early!