I have a question about counting portion size and a meatloaf

Options
So I made meatloaf and put it into my recipes and said it was 8 servings. So I weighed it before I put it in the oven and one serving is 6 ounces. Do I weigh it before I cook it like I did or after it is cooked? This may seem like a silly question but I am truly curious. Thanks for the help.

Replies

• ladybug4233
    ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the help. I thought that might be the case since it shrinks in the oven.
  • ladybug4233
    ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh after it comes out of the oven (I know how much my pans/pots weigh and subtract that), then I put the # of servings as the weight in grams. Then, when I dish it up if it's 267g its 267 servings.
    I like this idea since I could always eat a different amount. So simple but I never thought about it. Thank you.
  • kstar0327
    kstar0327 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I weigh meat especially after it has been cooked because it shrinks and i want a better gauge
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    I would expect that you would weigh all the ingredients raw to calculate the calories for the recipe (and you would use raw ingredient database entries).

The you would weight the complete product (hopefully after it has cooled a bit, though I sometimes often can't wait), and record the number of portions as gram, 10g, or 100g increments depending on expected usage...
  • Golferdrone
    Golferdrone Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Meat should be precooked.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    If it's something that can't be taken out the container to weigh in one piece, then weigh empty container, then weigh food after it's cooked while in container. Subtract container weight from total weight to get food weight.

Or if it's meatloaf and all in one nice piece then just weigh after cooking. You don't need to weigh it before cooking as it's likely be a different weight when it's done and that's when you'll be serving it up.

Once you have the total weight of it cooked you can divide by 8 to get the weight per portion cooked. Then you can serve up what you want for you and work out how much you had from there.
    Eg;
    Food weight (cooked) - 800g
    Portion weight (cooked) - 100g
    Weight of what you have - 150g = 1.5x serving.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    So I made meatloaf and put it into my recipes and said it was 8 servings. So I weighed it before I put it in the oven and one serving is 6 ounces. Do I weigh it before I cook it like I did or after it is cooked? This may seem like a silly question but I am truly curious. Thanks for the help.

You can weigh it after it is cooked and divide that number by 8 to figure out the portion size for 1 serving cooked.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I just leave the recipe as is when I do it and then cut it into 8 slices when it's done. Then it's all portioned out and easy to grab from the fridge.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh after it comes out of the oven (I know how much my pans/pots weigh and subtract that), then I put the # of servings as the weight in grams. Then, when I dish it up if it's 267g its 267 servings.
    I like this idea since I could always eat a different amount. So simple but I never thought about it. Thank you.

I was just thinking I should have added that I weigh all the ingredients raw, and then weigh the entirety cooked to determine servings. But it seems to be working for me!