Building muscle while cutting - what’s working for you?

Options
13»

Replies

• MichaelK1007
    MichaelK1007 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I just read an article about hip thrusts - in a study supposedly doing them improved max squat, even though the participants were not doing any squats. So they are definitely a thing more men should take an interest in, even if they do look silly.

So you are saying if I do hip thrust it will help improve my max squat. Anything else that will help. My goal is to get to 500lbs. I hit 455 a few months ago but now I am cutting and a little nervous about putting that much weight on my back at this time.

If you can do a 455# back squat (which is an incredible about of weight for a squat or any other lift) and want to reach 500#, the best way to get there (as it is at any other weight) is just to squat progressively more.

Don't see how doing hip thrusts would help achieve that any better than just doing more squats because I don't see how you'd even begin to hip thrust 455# let alone 500. LOL!!!

What do you mean by this? I hip thrust about 400 as a 145lb female.

That’s awesome bb1985. You would put me to shame. Very impressive deadlift. How’s your squat?
  • MichaelK1007
    Options
    I just read an article about hip thrusts - in a study supposedly doing them improved max squat, even though the participants were not doing any squats. So they are definitely a thing more men should take an interest in, even if they do look silly.

So you are saying if I do hip thrust it will help improve my max squat. Anything else that will help. My goal is to get to 500lbs. I hit 455 a few months ago but now I am cutting and a little nervous about putting that much weight on my back at this time.

If you can do a 455# back squat (which is an incredible about of weight for a squat or any other lift) and want to reach 500#, the best way to get there (as it is at any other weight) is just to squat progressively more.

Don't see how doing hip thrusts would help achieve that any better than just doing more squats because I don't see how you'd even begin to hip thrust 455# let alone 500. LOL!!!

Looks like you got the ladies fired up.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

Excuse you.

That’s awesome bb1985. You would put me to shame. Very impressive deadlift. How’s your squat?

Squat is meh. 240
  • MichaelK1007
    Options

Excuse you.

Squat is meh. 240

240 is great not meh! Why the “excuse you” did I offend you.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

Excuse you.

Squat is meh. 240

I'm not fired up. I was just saying it is not impossible to be hip thrusting 400lbs, by far.

I think 240 is meh. I weigh 145. It should be much better.
  • MichaelK1007
    Options

Excuse you.

Squat is meh. 240

I'm not fired up. I was just saying it is not impossible to be hip thrusting 400lbs, by far.

I think 240 is meh. I weigh 145. It should be much better.

Was trying to be funny. I guess not. Getting back to my original question it seems that it’s very difficult to build muscle while losing fat but not impossible. I am going to stick with heavy compound lifts as I alway deadlift, squat and bench press every week. I have been lifting for several years and I continue to see progress even if it’s slow at times. I still don’t think I am ready to try those hip thrusts yet. Lol.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Unless one train squats for maximum strength, then hip thrusts are inefficient.

Also doing any lift that involving the posterior chain would improve the squat max if one wasn't training squats. Just testing a squat max alone will improve the squat from someone who doesn't train squats. Hence why a novice doesn't ever have a true max.

These weren't novices, they were people who had been doing it at least a year. I can't remember the details of the control group, but there was one - looked like a pretty good study. I believe the article was on STACK if you want to look it up and form your own opinion.
    Just read it the article, not the exact study as of yet. Looks invalid AF as first read.

First they stopped all squats a month before testing. This in itself will cause extreme detraining and eccentially make all lifters novices at squatting once again or at least give them the ability to gain every session as a novice can.

20 year old male athletes that are removed from squats. One group was allowed to hip thrust and other not allowed to hip thrust. The group doing hip thrusts gained on their squat max after they were no longer allowed to squat for a month. The other group wasn't allowed to squat for three months and barely gained on squat max. Does this actually surprise anyone? We are talking young male athletes in their prime. Hardly validates that hip thrusts improves squatting alone under optimal training.

I personally can take the exact same 20 year old male baseball players who couldn't squat on average more than 200lbs, remove their squat training for a month. Put them on Starting Strength LP. They will gain close to double that amount in weight squatted in the same eight weeks. Gaurenteed.

They obviously had inferior training if they couldn't squat 200lbs in a year of squat training. They never graduated from a novice program, therefore by definition are novices.
  • MichaelK1007
    Options
    So since the beginning of the year I have been cutting and I am down about 11 pounds and most of it’s BF. At this point I am around 13% BF. Based on measuresments I take weekly at the same time each week, I don’t believe I have lost any muscle although I can’t be totally sure. The real test for me is if I have lost any strength in which I haven’t. In fact I am stilll progressing. Last year during my cutting phase I dropped down to 10-11% and 170 lbs and I was noticeably smaller and weaker in the gym. The biggest difference this time around is I am keeping protein at 1.5-1.75 per lb of lean body mass. Seems to be working. I will continue to track my progress to see if I can still build muscle while cutting. Keep you posted :)
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options

Unless one train squats for maximum strength, then hip thrusts are inefficient.

Also doing any lift that involving the posterior chain would improve the squat max if one wasn't training squats. Just testing a squat max alone will improve the squat from someone who doesn't train squats. Hence why a novice doesn't ever have a true max.

These weren't novices, they were people who had been doing it at least a year. I can't remember the details of the control group, but there was one - looked like a pretty good study. I believe the article was on STACK if you want to look it up and form your own opinion.
    I personally can take the exact same 20 year old male baseball players who couldn't squat on average more than 200lbs, remove their squat training for a month. Put them on Starting Strength LP. They will gain close to double that amount in weight squatted in the same eight weeks. Gaurenteed.

This, if a fat old man like me can get to 425lbs squats in less than a year, a gifted athletic 20year old male should not even take 3 months. At least to 315, *kitten* I was at this in just over 3 months.