Counting Macros vs Counting Calories for Fat loss

Options
I want to lose around 20lbs of fat. I was wondering if just counting calories is good enough to lose fat and tone up or do I need to count macros to do this?

Essentially, I want to drop 20lbs of fat while strength training and cardio and eating 1200 cals do I need to make sure I get the right amount of protein and such or is just counting the calories good enough?
Thank you in advance!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    A sustained calorie deficit is necessary, but also enough, to lose weight (fat).
    Good nutrition is usually necessary to sustain a calorie deficit.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Calories matter, but you can control calories if you control macros... so it's not exactly an either/or scenario. Macros will help (along with exercise) target fat as you lose weight.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, it all boils down to calories. Eating enough protein is important too.

You can certainly strength train and eat a calorie deficit but you won't make much in the way of muscle gains - you need more calories and more protein to gain those muscles and enough fuel to lift heavy. Your lifts will probably suffer with only 1200 calories. But for general health purposes, lift away! Just don't expect spectacular results until you bump up your calories to maintenance or above.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I count calories and really just pay attention to protein and iron and let the rest fall where it falls.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Calories are key to weight loss. Macros are just how calories breakdown. Both are important because too little/much could affect more than just weight loss (i.e. too little fat can affect hormone production).

Since you have 20# to lose and you have a fairly active plan why are you only consuming 1200 calories?