Ways to work out without the Gym?

I have been a member of a few gyms in the past and I have really enjoyed being there and using the equipment – I tended to do more cardio as I was intimidated by the free weights area haha!
Anyway, I need to be more active and exercise, but I can’t afford to go back the Gym (mentally or monetary).

My last gym membership was purchased to try and snap me out of a HUGE depressive episode a few years ago, I was in a very bad place and we figured it would help me accept myself a little more and also release serotonin which would improve my depression/anxiety. Anyway – my first session after I’d signed up for a 12 month contract (at great expense) I was huffing and puffing away on the treadmill (very unfit), wobbling everywhere; and I noticed a group of girls laughing. I tried to put it out of my mind, but I couldn’t ignore it any longer when I realised they were filming me!

Now I walked out of the gym and didn’t go back, 15 months of membership paid for and lost – because I couldn’t mentally cope with that happening again.
I have since had a baby and I am off all medication, no anti-depressants/anti-anxiety meds that have kept me zombified for years, and I want to become more active.

Now I drive, but I don’t live in a nice area… so running in my neighbourhood is out of the question… I’d be more likely to get mugged at knifepoint and have to run rather than enjoy it.
I also have an 18month old - and because I work full time during the day I don’t get to spend much time with her – she tends to fall asleep around 7-7:30pm, so potentially I have a few hours here that I could spend time working out.

Can you please give me any ideas on how to do something, because I keep getting told off by my OH for running backwards and forwards in the kitchen 
So basically Cardio/Resistance type stuff I can do at home…

Replies

• Hungry_Shopgirl
    Hungry_Shopgirl Posts: 329 Member
    Look up Fitnessblender on youtube. Over 500 free workout videos; some require dumbbells, some no equipment at all. If you go to their website you can search by all sorts of different parameters to find exactly what suits you on a particular day.

Wishing you all the best on your journey!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    YAYOG-You are your own gym
    DDP Yoga-
    Pavel's Kettlebell program(Simple and sinister/Russian Kettlebell Challenge/Enter the Kettlebell)

You'll need about 36 Sq Feet(6x6 space) Doesn't need to be dedicated, but does need to be clear from floor to ceiling(fingertip high)
  • sadmaker
    sadmaker Posts: 19 Member
    I love and use the Beachbody workouts. Specifically body beast, P90x, insanity. Generally requires dumbbells and a bench.

And sorry about those laughing hyenas. Don't let that garbage get to you
  • PrincessVamp666
    PrincessVamp666 Posts: 1,176 Member
    Thank you all :)

I will definitely look into these - and yeah it was very unfortunate that they got me when I was at my lowest point mood wise. I am in a much better place now, but at the time I was worried I would either relapse or worse.
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    I have quite a few dumbbells and resistance bands that I have slowly accumulated- I mix up my workouts with FitnessBlender and HASfit (mainly) on YouTube and some workouts I have lifted on Instagram.

I also walk/run outside (hurt myself last fall- working back into the running) but I got a really nice treadmill off of our Facebook b/s/t site for only 100 bucks that I use for crappy weather.