Weight lifting and swimming

Options
2»

Replies

• Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I used to often take my kids to the local high school pool to swim.

There were some very obese women who were always there swimming lap after lap after lap. They were obviously very experienced swimmers. It's great cardio and low impact.

However, these women never got any thinner. They looked like whales.

My conclusion: Swimming is great cardio but is ineffective for weight loss unless you eat less calories than you burn.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    I used to often take my kids to the local high school pool to swim.

There were some very obese women who were always there swimming lap after lap after lap. They were obviously very experienced swimmers. It's great cardio and low impact.

However, these women never got any thinner. They looked like whales.

My conclusion: Swimming is great cardio but is ineffective for weight loss unless you eat less calories than you burn.

waves hand! :D

I was one of these! I swam every weekday for 2 years before I started using MFP. Proper lap swimming, not stood in pool chatting. I could do a 5km swim in around 1hr45. But still overweight for those 2 years......with squash and the swims and BodyPump and BodyCombat as my exercise............

Totally about eating less calories for me! When I started logging food - that's when swimming paid off - as said above, it is great cardio and gives you a mammoth amount of calorie leeway......once you are tracking and aware of your basic calorie intake goals :)