Archery - How does it measure up for exercise?

Options
Hi, I've signed up for an archery course for novices. I can honestly say other than what I've read up on I know next to nothing about it. Just looking for some personal experience/feedback from folks as to the benefits. i.e. does it improve core strength, stamina, give an upper body workout & how effectively? Cheers :bigsmile:

Replies

• snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Depending on the bow strength you use, it could improve your arm muscles. Other than that, it's not really much of a workout. It is, however, awesome and you will feel like a bad *kitten*.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    This is one of those sports where you end up with really asymmetrical development. You'll end up looking like a fiddler crab unless you do some supplementary strength training on your non-pulling side.

So while some strength is obviously required to be good, you would want to do some actual exercise (strength training at least) to counterbalance the asymmetry.
  • visichy
    Options
    I shot a compound bow for 2 years and then switched to a recurve bow which I've been shooting for almost 2 years. As previously mentioned, you will develop muscles in your upper back, shoulders, and arms specifically for archery. It's important to make sure that you have balance with your strength training so you don't get lopsided (check out some old pictures of primitive archers who are overdeveloped on one side)

However, there is quite a bit of walking in archery.... every arrow you shoot you have to go pick up :) At indoor shoots you typically shoot 3 to 5 arrows (depending on the type of shoot) and then walk to the target(s) to score and pull the arrows then walk back to the shooting line. This adds up during the course of the shoot but is no more intense than walking. In the summer, try an outdoor 3D shoot. My favorite summer shoots are in the mountains where you basically are walking/hiking all day interupted by flinging a few arrows :)
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Run (or Ski) Archery will burn a lot more calories:
    http://www.worldarchery.org/en-us/home/disciplines/runarchery.aspx
    http://www.worldarchery.org/en-us/home/disciplines/skiarchery.aspx

"Run Archery is a relatively new discipline combining cross-country running and archery, which can be of interest to all archers willing to maintain a good physical shape while practicing archery."

"Also athletes involved in the winter discipline of Ski Archery, which has just become a FITA discipline, can find in Run Archery a good complementary summer discipline to their winter practice."

25yzn2x.jpg
    2yor39u.png
  • kkkeeerigan
    kkkeeerigan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Archery is a great sport. Unfortunately, few people are involved in this sport today, although it helps not only strengthen your body, but also develops many parts of the brain that are responsible for the reaction, accuracy, attention, and much more.
    If you are thinking about what kind of sport to go in for, then I definitely recommend archery to you.
    ImprovedArchery can help you at first. Here you can find some great articles on archery.