When is it a good idea to increase calories?

Options
Everytime I think I have everything figured out, I get thrown for a loop. I recently weighed myself after two weeks and went up two lbs. I vented to a friend cause it didn't make sense and they asked how much I eat and burn. Typically I eat 1300 cals a day, but I burn about 200 cals during a workout(if we believe my fitness watch) and I don't eat back my exercise calories. Is it possible I gained weight because I'm burning 200 of my daily calories ? Should I increase my calories? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but I'm still trying to learn everything

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You do not gain weight from eating too few calories.

That said, there are good reasons to account for the calories burnt during exercise -- less hunger, meeting your nutritional needs, being able to fuel your fitness, preserving muscle mass (if you're losing weight too rapidly).

Gaining two pounds in two weeks could be a sign that your logging isn't as accurate as it could be (and you're eating more than you think), but it could also be related to intense workouts, dehydration, even your time of the month (if you're someone who has a period).
  • digidoomed
    digidoomed Posts: 151 Member
    Options

That said, there are good reasons to account for the calories burnt during exercise -- less hunger, meeting your nutritional needs, being able to fuel your fitness, preserving muscle mass (if you're losing weight too rapidly).

Gaining two pounds in two weeks could be a sign that your logging isn't as accurate as it could be (and you're eating more than you think), but it could also be related to intense workouts, dehydration, even your time of the month (if you're someone who has a period).

Im currently on my monthly but I wasn't sure if that was it. I'll try to increase my water intake too. Thank you for the advice
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    digidoomed wrote: »

Im currently on my monthly but I wasn't sure if that was it. I'll try to increase my water intake too. Thank you for the advice

It's really common for me to gain as much as 7 pounds during certain times of the month (usually when I'm ovulating and right before my period starts). What you're seeing sounds perfectly normal.
  • digidoomed
    digidoomed Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    digidoomed wrote: »

It's really common for me to gain as much as 7 pounds during certain times of the month (usually when I'm ovulating and right before my period starts). What you're seeing sounds perfectly normal.

Alright, thank you. I'll try not to let it bother me so much. I'll wait about a week and then try again. I do notice my clothes fitting looser and some muscle definition so hopefully somethings working