100lbs to lose - looking to connect with others with similar goals

Options
nrtauthor
nrtauthor Posts: 159 Member
edited February 2018 in Motivation and Support
I'm not looking to build muscle or become a super duper fitness guru. Mostly I'm looking to learn healthier eating habits and healthier lifestyle habits (like walking to the grocery store instead of driving, making sure I do SOME kind of workout daily).

I need to lose at least 100lbs to be in a healthy weight for my height but I'd be happy just losing 50 or 70.

I struggle with depression, anxiety and hypothyroidism. My doctor takes a 'let's leave the numbers where they shouldn't be and see what happens' stance towards my thyroid so I often go months with acute exhaustion. I am attempting to push through all that to adopt healthier habits even in the bad times/low moments.

Looking to find people with similar goals/problems and/or who have been there, done that and pushed through! For support and motivation.

For weight history. I am 5'10. At 20 I was 150lbs. I ballooned to 230lbs when thyroid initially stopped functioning properly. Lose 30lbs. Stayed at 200lbs a few years but then thyroid crashed, anxiety and depression hit hard and I ballooned to 258lbs. I'm now at 253lbs and fighting to lose more.

<3

Replies

• nrtauthor
    Options
    You can see even in my post signs of my exhaustion. LOL. I cannot English well sometimes. My brain just feels slow and tired ALL THE TIME, and that's part of it.
  • dtelsah
    dtelsah Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Sent a friend request. While I do not have thyroid problems (that I know of), the struggle is real for me as well. Would be happy to help if I can.
  • nrtauthor
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you!
  • blmartinjr76
    blmartinjr76 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was in the U.S. Army for 21 years and have helped many soldiers drop weight throughout the years. The main thought of weight loss for most people is to lose as much as possible as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, that just doesn't work unless you are making yourself extremely unhealthy. My ex-wife was obsessed with not becoming her parents when we first met. She would exercise daily and reward herself with a can of asparagus, or corn or...you get the picture. She was always tired had dark circles under her eyes and would get horrible bruises because she was so malnourished for essential nutrients, but hey, she looked great right? Weight loss isn't this wonderful overnight magic trick like you see in all those diet pill ads, but is actually so much more work than we are used to, which generally leads to falling off the wagon as they say. A safe weight loss for males and females is 3 to 8lbs per month. Now, initially higher weighing people can lose more, but most will be water weight retention. Don't let that sway your excitement, any loss is a loss toward your end goal. When I retired from the Army, I was already heading down the weight gain path as my last job was a pretty cushy one compared to the other years of being an infantryman and later an artilleryman always being physically fit and combat-ready so to speak. Once fully retired, I delved into my new job and pretty much said to hell with the gym, "I'll be fine." Unfortunately, that wasn't the case and I tacked on at least 30lbs of pure unadulterated fat. While my weight didn't change by more than 10lbs, my muscle mass has decreased and all of those beer curls that I had been doing, added with the poor food choices, quickly assisted with the weight gain (let's just call it what it is fat gain). I tried the fast fat burning pills, the 18 hours a day fasting plan, and finally the UA food diary, which actually seems to be working. The first day I started entering my eating habits, I quickly saw that I ate like crap. One meal exceeded my entire daily allotted calorie intake by 453. So one of my staple foods was bad for me...how can beer-battered fish filets be bad? That was a joke btw, but I just never really put 2 and 2 together, because I was eating the same crap I ate whilst in the Army and I was a picture of health back then. Not taking in to account the fact that I was running between 10 to 16 miles a week, 100's of push-ups, dips, pull-ups and sit-ups sometimes daily. I now see my diet failures for what they are and the reasons fad diets and diet pills just don't work to continue to aid in long term weight loss. I will say that these purple pills my wife found us to take, have definitely added energy in the place of lowering my calories by over half of what I was eating. They are called oxy lean elite, while I cannot say what they will do long term, I do like the energy aspect without subtracting any calories from my already miniscule allowable amount. Oh and, the super in shape chick on the advertisement, must've taken them right?...lol Wow, I just looked at this and it is super long, hope you have gotten to this part, 3 to 8 pounds is just a guide to assess if people were making an effort, if you lose just half of a pound, be excited! Weight loss isn't a race, it's a marathon, wow that sounded so Jillian Michaels, but either way just keep at it! Set weekly goals, say I want to lose 1.5lbs a week, instead of I want to lose 50lbs by August, I know my math doesn't add up, but you get the picture (you would need to lose 2.08lbs per week, but who's counting...lol) Let me know what exercises you would like to start with, and maybe the ones that you want to be able to do in a month, two months, etc, and together and the wonderful internet, I'm sure we can formulate a workable plan of attack...sorry the soldier came out for a minute. Take care and I hope to hear back from you.

Martin
  • blmartinjr76
    Options
    I guess I forgot to say the age/weight stuff. I'll be 42 this year in July, and currently weigh 229.7lbs. I started this weight journey at 234.7lbs, I have lost 5lbs, wait that wasn't very enthusiastic was it...I HAVE LOST 5LBS! Alright, I think that was louder, at least my daughter asks me why I screaming at her when I accidentally text in all caps. While I am super excited about the numbers on the scale just snickering instead of blatantly laughing at me, this eating 1500 calories a day is a real b*tch sometimes! Oh, and for some reason, the (.) pounds have really gotten me excited, like when we were kids and we would say our age plus a half. I wish I could subtract 6 months from my age now.

Martin
  • nrtauthor
    Options
    I guess I forgot to say the age/weight stuff. I'll be 42 this year in July, and currently weigh 229.7lbs. I started this weight journey at 234.7lbs, I have lost 5lbs, wait that wasn't very enthusiastic was it...I HAVE LOST 5LBS! Alright, I think that was louder, at least my daughter asks me why I screaming at her when I accidentally text in all caps. While I am super excited about the numbers on the scale just snickering instead of blatantly laughing at me, this eating 1500 calories a day is a real b*tch sometimes! Oh, and for some reason, the (.) pounds have really gotten me excited, like when we were kids and we would say our age plus a half. I wish I could subtract 6 months from my age now.

Martin

Haha. Your post was definitely motivational but also made me chuckle.

I'm 35. Female (not sure that was obvious from the llama profile pic - I know it does make a difference in how our bodies function and etc). Used to be a runner and weight lifter (when I was at 200lbs I was running daily and doing the P90X program) but these days I'm more concerned with getting to a healthy weight (so I can walk upstairs without gasping for air). My long-term 'health' goal is to be able to run again. Right now I carry too much weight for my knees (which were injured in a running accident years ago).

At this point I am struggling with simply walking. I get light-headed and my entire body sings just walking 1km. But I have been taking .8km walks everyday to push at the top of my limit without pushing so hard that I burn out. Hoping to build up to longer walks in future but it's super slow progress.

My biggest struggle, once I get my heart and body in better shape, will be not stress eating. Food has always been my go-to for stress so I am attempting to find activities to keep me busy so I'm not stuffing my face during the hard moments.

Anyway. If you know of any walking programs to help towards a goal of eventually running (not next month or the month after even but by end of the year) then I would LOVE to hear it/see it!
  • blmartinjr76
    Options
    My wife is doing a couch to 5k program, but it may be to joint impactful to jump right into. There is a seated elliptical that my gym has which seems would be most helpful just getting back into exercising. The standing elliptical machine itself is nearly joint stress free, but would cause your cardiovascular system quite some stress initially. Hopefully, a nearby gym has this, as I would deem it quite beneficial to you.

https://www.nustep.com/product/t4r/?campaign=860130217&productid=45000&gclid=CjwKCAiAoNTUBRBUEiwAWje2lheQl5NsbV2P2EdiVHEmDIrC2J-8n6L2YMq1ISNEYcTitbo88MLVtxoC5fkQAvD_BwE
  • nrtauthor
    Options
    I'll visit our local gym next week and check it out!
  • LadyShermandy
    LadyShermandy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm also looking to lose 100+. I started in January at 271 and am currently at 252. I'm looking to hit my pre marriage weight of 165 eventually. Always looking for some motivation here :).
  • LadyShermandy
    LadyShermandy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Also, I'm there with you on the anxiety, depression front. I just started a new mesld, so hopefully that helps in that front.
  • nrtauthor
    Options
    ddwizard85 wrote: »
    Also, I'm there with you on the anxiety, depression front. I just started a new mesld, so hopefully that helps in that front.

I look forward to losing with you!!!!

And I hope your new meds do help on the anxiety/depression front. That's tough stuff to push through sometimes.
  • blmartinjr76
    Options
    Nice to, sort of, meet all of you. I'm here to help you stay motivated, and give whatever knowledge I have and Google can provide...lol Hope for the same from you. Have a good night.

Martin
  • blmartinjr76
    Options
    Hey all, I found this really good video that, while none of you are in this position, I found it to be quite motivating and wanted to share it. It's a year old, so some of you may have seen it already, but if not...here it is.

https://youtu.be/D3nER_Ym-BU

Hope you guys are having a good hump day!

Martin
  • nrtauthor
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing Martin!!!