If I eat 1,400 calories a day how many calories should I burn in a day/week to lose weight?

Options
Like how many calories should I burn to lose 1 pound a week?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    1900 a day. But if you set MFP up so you lose a pound a week, then it's already saying you burn 1900 calories before exercise. Remember that you burn calories 24/7.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Like how many calories should I burn to lose 1 pound a week?

A 500 calorie reduction from maintenance results in about 1 Lb per week loss. You burn calories 24/7...most of your burn is you merely existing...like I burn around 1800 calories just existing on this planet and doing nothing else. Then you burn more calories going about your day to day. Finally, there is exercise, which unless you're an athlete or doing some serious training, provides a rather modest increase to total energy expenditure relative to living and going about your day to day.

If you put your stats and desired rate of loss into this calculator, this calculator has already calculated the calorie target you need to eat to lose weight. That's what the calculator does.

With my TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) I eat around 2300-2500 calories per day to lose about 1 Lb per week (meaning my maintenance calories are around 2800-3000). My exercise burns are usually somewhere in the neighborhood of 300-500 calories in a session...the rest of my energy expenditure is me being alive and going about my day to day.