Lunges

Options
One movement that always seems to give me the most problems is lunges. I feel like it might be due to some tightness in my legs, but I can't just jump right into them and I feel I never have my leg centered as I know your knee shouldnt be slanted too much if that makes sense. Does anyone have any mental cues you use for lunges? For example, squats got easier when I pictured my hips hinging first

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I had to consciously think about taking a longer step forward than I was naturally inclined to do. That was the big learning curve for me. After that, I just focused on keeping everything tight to help maintain balance.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You could also step back instead of forward if the balance component is causing you trouble
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    digidoomed wrote: »
    Does anyone have any mental cues you use for lunges? For example, squats got easier when I pictured my hips hinging first

Like with squats, even if one follows all the cues, it doesn't guarantee good form. Try to upload a video yourself doing them, with the camera at the side. We don't need to see your face - from the waist down is fine. :+1:
  • amydelaf
    amydelaf Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    my physical therapist reminds me to squeeze (engage) my glutes.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I had to consciously think about taking a longer step forward than I was naturally inclined to do. That was the big learning curve for me. After that, I just focused on keeping everything tight to help maintain balance.

For me it's not to step too far forward. A lunge is a DEEP step with back lower leg parallel to floor. It is not a long step and the two are contradictory.

OP, lunges ARE a challenging exercise!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are moving your body forward as you lunge. Hips pushing knee forward.
    Short step, shoulders and hips in line, body dropping straight down, is the way that works for me.
    Gently hold a chair back if balance assistance is needed.

Cheers, h.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I was having all kinds of balance and position problems with lunges. My trainer/ coach has me doing spit lunges.

They are done in place so no having to reset each one. The set up he taught me is to "take a knee", set your knees/feet shoulder width apart and your knee about 6 inches farther back than the heel of your front foot. Then up and down working 1 leg at a time, then switching for 3 sets each. Works like a charm. Better balance and mechanics.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    I was having all kinds of balance and position problems with lunges. My trainer/ coach has me doing spit lunges.

They are done in place so no having to reset each one. The set up he taught me is to "take a knee", set your knees/feet shoulder width apart and your knee about 6 inches farther back than the heel of your front foot. Then up and down working 1 leg at a time, then switching for 3 sets each. Works like a charm. Better balance and mechanics.

+1 on staying in place.
    At least until you get really good at it, and in addition to getting some feedback on your form from someone who has seen it.