"Cutting" versus "dieting"?

Options
Why do we use the term "cut"? Why isn't the term "diet" sufficient?

Thank you.

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Oh, OK. thank you.
  • asviles
    asviles Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Dieting is specific to food choices. Cutting is when you are cutting weight by all methods overall including exercise.
  • SonOfGod1981
    SonOfGod1981 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Cutz are the devil
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I hate the term "cutting" and avoid using it where I can....i just don't mention it at all! In my circles though, asking people if they're "prepping" is usually enough to understand their goals at the time...
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I have a cut diet, and I have a bulk diet. Diet is nothing more than the things we eat. As such, the phrase "on a diet" is rather meaningless. Everyone that consumes anything is on a diet.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I don't see any difference except in the sense of the intent and who is using it. From what I've seen: a diet generally implies general weight loss as an end goal in and of itself, and is used by the general public. Cutting generally implies you are in a cut/bulk cycle for competition of some type, or just for training and aestlthics, and you only tend to see it in fitness circles.

• XXL_Bear
    XXL_Bear Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cutting is for following a bulking phase. Diet is more along the lines of getting nutritional guidelines established to get lean and healthy enough to go into a bulk. While exercising can be looked at as a prerequisite of training by establishing starting strength, mobility, and conditioning. Because for some people, especially for first body transformations, may have to train while dieting for an extended period of time first. Which is exactly where I’m at.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I would say cutting is more specific than dieting/eating in a deficit. It is where one is trying to maintain as much muscle as possible while lowering bodyfat.

Nicely put :smile:
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Cutting or deficit is definitely oriented to communicate that fitness/BF/health has been considered and that there's a structure or plan.

Diet can mean anything or nothing.

"I'm on the Keto diet, Not losing weight... not sure why" says very little.
    "I'm running a cut at 2500 100 grams protein/low carb... Maintenance is 2900... haven't lost in 2 weeks" communicates a lot.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think cutting is typically used more within the fitness community...more specifically, the lifting community. Most of the people at my gym say things like, "Gotta cut for summer" and whatnot. it's also typically of short duration as they don't have that much weight to lose...whereas someone with a significant amount of weight to lose might refer to it as a diet because it's prolonged...IDK.