Squats

Options
13»

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    @bbell1985 Have you gotten coaching on your form ?! You might want to consider it. Just sayin.
    Didn't you a few months ago ask on these forums if you could increase your lifting from 5 lbs dumbbells (or whatever) to 10?

Ah no, Steph is very well coached, has been well very coached, and knows her *kitten*.

Oh my god I was reading slow because I'm drunk and I thought you were serious at first :(((( ha
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Hey friends,
    I've been upping my Squat game lately (going for that boo-tay! ) and my thighs are aching after... but not my rear. What's the deal? Is my form wrong?
    I'm keeping my back straight and doing the a*s*s-to-grass squats. But I'm open to criticism and suggestions!
    First of all, squats are more for overall strength development and not necessarily for *kitten* gains. A strong squat will increase your gains in other movements too.

If you are squatting ATG then you are mostly likely squatting high bar which relies much less on your posterior chain to move the weight. While you still want to break parallel in a squat, ATG is largely unnecessary

As it was stated before, low bar squat, thrusters, GHD are your best options.

edited March 2018
    Options
    Hey friends,
    I've been upping my Squat game lately (going for that boo-tay! ) and my thighs are aching after... but not my rear. What's the deal? Is my form wrong?
    I'm keeping my back straight and doing the a*s*s-to-grass squats. But I'm open to criticism and suggestions!

You need to work with a MAT if you're having issues connecting to your muscles. People on the internet can't accurately gauge your issues for muscle activation online. You'll just get a bunch of suggestions from their experience which is totally individual and may not be relevant for you.

MAT = Muscle Activation Therapist

WTH? MAT? Are you for real?

No, just get a coach who not only understands how to squat, but the differences in the prevailing methods of squatting and can identify them, and then teach you them.

edited March 2018
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    @bbell1985 Have you gotten coaching on your form ?! You might want to consider it. Just sayin.
    Didn't you a few months ago ask on these forums if you could increase your lifting from 5 lbs dumbbells (or whatever) to 10?

Ah no, Steph is very well coached, has been well very coached, and knows her *kitten*.

Oh my god I was reading slow because I'm drunk and I thought you were serious at first :(((( ha
    Yeah you are very well coached Steph. Its a compliment so shove me a drink stat.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Hmm..I don't squat for a glute workout really. I find there are better exercises to target glutes.

Tell. Me. Everything. !!
    I would love suggestions to get a better booty! I lost 30lbs running and started doing weight training a few months ago but my rear is still flat as a pancake!!

If you want booty gains, I would go look at StrongCurves or any program by Bret Contreras.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

And if you want to understand Glute Science, I'd recommend the below video.

https://youtu.be/Ynjshc_LwPE
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I used to squat high bar...switched to low bar.
    Now, none of my pants fit, and I added 40lbs to my squat.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Trying focusing on keeping your weight on your heels, really drive them in.