THYROID FOOD!

Options
beerdan
beerdan Posts: 8 Member
Listen - you got hypothyroidism yea? You are exercising loads and doing all the right stuff right? But you still feel knackered?

Then cook this meal - have it three times a week:

First, get your brown rice simmering.

Chop cauliflower, broccoli, courgettes and carrots. And two peppers - one red, one green.
Sesame oil in the pan, chuck in your cauli, carrots for two mins. Then add your peppers, two mins. Then add your broccoli, with loads and loads of garlic and fresh ginger and fresh green chilli with the seeds in. sling in lots of LIGHT soy sauce - has to be light. Keep it there for two mins more.

Prepare tons - tons - of coriander leaves. When your brown rice is done, strain it, chuck the coriander leaves through it. Chuck a few raisins in if you need.

Lace your now ready stir fry with dark soy sauce. Chuck the brown rice in to the lot, stir fry for 1 minute on high heat.

EAT IT! ITS THYROID FOOD!

Replies

• prairiewalker
    prairiewalker Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Sounds Delicious! May I suggest BRAGGS Liquid Aminos in lieu of the Soy Sauce..also

in general

I am using regular table salt again after decades of using only sea salt....

not one doctor, endocrinologist or nutritionist is interested in testing my sodium levels, but what I've been reading,

sodium deficiency can bring on hypothryoidism as well as fluoride...

so check into filters for your water and I'm still on the search for a "natural" fluoride free toothpaste that I like...:flowerforyou:
  • Adirafox
    Adirafox Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm also hypothyroid, and my husband noticed (when we were first dating), that I used sea salt...no iodine. He suggested I switch back to regular ole' table salt (with iodine), and my thyroid function has improved. Not all the way better, but I'm on very low levels of synthroid.
  • FrankieTrailBlazer
    FrankieTrailBlazer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Sounds Delicious! May I suggest BRAGGS Liquid Aminos in lieu of the Soy Sauce..also

in general

I am using regular table salt again after decades of using only sea salt....

not one doctor, endocrinologist or nutritionist is interested in testing my sodium levels, but what I've been reading,

sodium deficiency can bring on hypothryoidism as well as fluoride...

so check into filters for your water and I'm still on the search for a "natural" fluoride free toothpaste that I like...:flowerforyou:

There must be other natural sources of iodine besides sh!tty table salt, non?

Fluoride should be eliminated from drinking water as well as from shower water, non?
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious. Just curious..your recipe calls for Soy sauce but I have recently heard that Soy products interfere with thyroid medicine. Probably better to substitute with something else.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious. Just curious..your recipe calls for Soy sauce but I have recently heard that Soy products interfere with thyroid medicine. Probably better to substitute with something else.
    I've been told to stay away from soy products as well as goitrogens (which affect the thyroid), and this includes broccoli and cauliflower.
    OP: where did you get this information and why do you think it's "thyroid food"?
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I had no idea my thyroid was even hungry! Should it eat back it's exercise calories?
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    I had no idea my thyroid was even hungry! Should it eat back it's exercise calories?
    How does one exercise their thyroid? Is there something you put under your chin to squeeze down for a neck workout? If I have a turkey gobbler neck, does that mean my thyroid is overweight?

But in all cereal bowls, I've been dealing with an endocrinologist for 7 years and never once has he mentioned any of this. And he's one of them smart ones that went to John Hopkins. :flowerforyou:
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Options
    How does one exercise their thyroid? Is there something you put under your chin to squeeze down for a neck workout? If I have a turkey gobbler neck, does that mean my thyroid is overweight?

But in all cereal bowls, I've been dealing with an endocrinologist for 7 years and never once has he mentioned any of this. And he's one of them smart ones that went to John Hopkins. :flowerforyou:

Suzanne Somers has a new tool out. The "ThyroidMaster". Use that.

I had no idea you could spot-feed your organs. Does that mean maybe we can also spot-train our problem areas after all? I'm gonna go do the 10,000 crunch flat belly in 5 minutes challenge now.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    Options

I had no idea you could spot-feed your organs. Does that mean maybe we can also spot-train our problem areas after all? I'm gonna go do the 10,000 crunch flat belly in 5 minutes challenge now.
    Wait! Take before and after pictures. You should see results instantaneously.

Does she make one for my lady bits as well? I'm feeling a bit loose after losing a few pounds.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Except if you have thyroid problems you should limit your intake of goitrogens foods like broccoli and cauliflower. Also, most definitely limit your intake of soy as it can inflame your thyroid. USA soy is processed.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Options

Does she make one for my lady bits as well? I'm feeling a bit loose after losing a few pounds.

Sounds like you were getting way too much protein.
  • bakingforlife
    bakingforlife Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I was taking odine pill from a naturalist . Hallelujah Acres.com.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

I just laughed coffee out my nose. Will this boost my nasal metabolism?
  • bakingforlife
    bakingforlife Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Soy sauce is a gmo
  • tehboxingkitteh
    Options

I just laughed so hard I peed myself. If I would have had that exercise dohickey this wouldn't have been a problem. And I prefer my to take my protein orally, thank you.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Options

Depends. Was it green coffee? Dr. Oz says it has to be green.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I usually don't use this kind of language,, but this is downright SH*TTY advice ... Soy can can block the absorption of thyroid meds (hormone replacements) ... Cauliflower and broccoli are indeed goitrogens and should only be eaten cooked and in moderate quanlities if you are a thyroid patient ...

Besides *craptacular* iodized table salt, other sources of iodine are:
    Sea Vegetables
    Cow's Milk
    Strawberries

Sea Vegetables being the highest ...

Sodium deficency does not cause hypothyroidism ... unless iodized salt is your only source of iodine (multivitamins usually have iodine), and you cut out all food containing said iodized salt, then being "sodium deficent" (I quote this, because most foos naturally contain some sodium, spinach, swiss chard, and celery are pretty high in sodium ... so becoming sodium deficent is quite difficult unless you go on so crazy restrictive diet or sweat to the point were you become dehydrated, at which point your other electrolytes would be off to and you would need medical attention) would make you iodine deficent by default ...

There is no "magical thyroid diet" ... Take your meds (T4/T3 combo (natural or synthetic) replacement preferably), eat healthy, and exercise ... Supplements that you may be low in.or may want to take are:
    B12 (sublingual methycobalamyn)
    Selenium (1 brazilnut a day will do)I
    Iodine (eating sea vegetables is ideal, but check w/ your doctor first, iodine can aggravate Hashimoto's)
    Magnesium
    Vitamin D3
    Iron

Note that ALL supplements should be taken a minimum of 4 hours before or after taking your thyroid meds, so as to not interfere with their absorption.

Also, some people with thyroid issues find it beneficial to go gluten free (such as myself). You can read why on your own (don't feel like typing anymore, lol ... I just read the original post and had to clear up the misinformation ...)

StopTheTyroidMadness.com and their Facebook page "FTPO" (For Thyroid Patients Only) are great resources and offer support and afvice ... Though, I do feel that they push the natural dessicated thyroid a bit too much, they are still good resources ...

Sorry for any typos, it's late, I didn't feel like proofing, and I'm visually impaired ... I just felt the need to clear up some of the misinformation here for my fellow hypothyroid patients ... :)

Okay, I lied, lol ... my OCD compelled me to fix the one glaring typo I saw ...
  • FrankieTrailBlazer
    FrankieTrailBlazer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I usually don't use this kind of language,, but this is downright SH*TTY advice ... Soy can can block the absorption of thyroid meds (hormone replacements) ... Cauliflower and broccoli are indeed goitrogens and should only be eaten cooked and in moderate quanlities if you are a thyroid patient ...

Besides *craptacular* iodized table salt, other sources of iodine are:
    Sea Vegetables
    Cow's Milk
    Strawberries

Sea Vegetables being the highest ...

Sodium deficency does not cause hypothyroidism ... unless iodized salt is your only source of iodine (multivitamins usually have iodine), and you cut out all food containing said iodized salt, then being "sodium deficent" (I quote this, because most foos naturally contain some sodium, spinach, swiss chard, and celery are pretty high in sodium ... so becoming sodium deficent is quite difficult unless you go on so crazy restrictive diet or sweat to the point were you become dehydrated, at which point your other electrolytes would be off to and you would need medical attention) would make you iodine deficent by default ...

There is no "magical thyroid diet" ... Take your meds (T4/T3 combo (natural or synthetic) replacement preferably), eat healthy, and exercise ... Supplements that you may be low in.or may want to take are:
    B12 (sublingual methycobalamyn)
    Selenium (1 brazilnut a day will do)I
    Iodine (eating sea vegetables is ideal, but check w/ your doctor first, iodine can aggravate Hashimoto's)
    Magnesium
    Vitamin D3
    Iron

Note that ALL supplements should be taken a minimum of 4 hours before or after taking your thyroid meds, so as to not interfere with their absorption.

Also, some people with thyroid issues find it beneficial to go gluten free (such as myself). You can read why on your own (don't feel like typing anymore, lol ... I just read the original post and had to clear up the misinformation ...)

StopTheTyroidMadness.com and their Facebook page "FTPO" (For Thyroid Patients Only) are great resources and offer support and afvice ... Though, I do feel that they push the natural dessicated thyroid a bit too much, they are still good resources ...

Sorry for any typos, it's late, I didn't feel like proofing, and I'm visually impaired ... I just felt the need to clear up some of the misinformation here for my fellow hypothyroid patients ... :)

Okay, I lied, lol ... my OCD compelled me to fix the one glaring typo I saw ...

Reasonably thorough response!
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

Well I'm not a gynecologist but I'll take a look at it.....:bigsmile:
  • tehboxingkitteh
    Options

Well I'm not a gynecologist but I'll take a look at it.....:bigsmile:
    Are you by chance Dr. Howey Feltersnatch?